Potatoes Falling Over ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I also collected seed pods from our whites last summer when they flowered so I will also try starting from real seeds this spring...along with Clancy Seeds. There are some vids out there that are promising, so we will give that a try too. I will experiment in ground and in pots and see if any difference. Gardens all over the world depend more on what they are spraying in the skies than what WE do in the dirt. Just my opinion. Those materials affect us and they affect plants too. Criminals.
I just thought I'd mention that Zigs just said there may be a danger in doing that with seed, as the potato can be a tricky customer, and may produce too much solanine if grown in this way.

My granddad used to instruct my nan to peel the spuds thickly when it got to planting time, and the peelings would be planted back into the soil to produce the next crop.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Too much nitrogen makes tall plants. Once plants are 2 ft tall cut down on the nitrogen. Tall plants do not make large potatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen many a video of people growing potatoes (white) out in the field and they are 3 ft tall and standing strong...until months later they start dieing off. Every time I plant potatoes, they grow up about 2+ft tall and start getting whimpy and lean and fall over like they are weak. Is there something I am missing? I have been putting fencing wire cage around the pots to keep them at least going up in the right direction.
I would just let them run along the ground. I've never staked potatoes. There are quite a few crops that would rather run -- squash are one.

Ask a Question