All my Potatoes are Chitting!! What to do ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to growing my own food and the process...about 1-2 years now, so I need some advice on potatoes. We harvested these white potatoes in the summer and put them away in the cool, dark garage attic in a milk crate and 95% of them are now chitting, some with 3 inch sprouts on them. They look like they are ready to get planted!!! I went to pull some this morning for mashed potatoes for Christmas dinner and shocked to see this.

Its too cold outside to plant them now, but they look like they are ready to do their thing. I dont think they will last until spring to plant them in the ground and I dont have enough room to put them in pots inside the house under grow lights. So what do I do with these???

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That's normal for potatoes. The best thing to do IMO would have been to plant some(all) of those back in September. You would be having another crop about now.

I've harvested about 30 pounds of new potatoes thus far that were planted in September from the spring crop and still have about 2/3 of the row yet to harvest. I covered them twice to protect from frosts. I expect to get about 100 pounds new total from those leftovers. This is the way to have a continuous year around supply of home-grown new potatoes.

Fall 2023.JPG

At this point, you can 1) try to eat them (remove any green stuff first), 2) plant them where you can protect them (didn't you build a DIY greenhouse?) and grow another crop, or 3) throw them out on the compost pile.

Reaction score
Country
United States
At this point, you can 1) try to eat them (remove any green stuff first), 2) plant them where you can protect them (didn't you build a DIY greenhouse?) and grow another crop, or 3) throw them out on the compost pile.

Thanks ML. Yes sir, did build a GHouse but I cant seem to keep it warm, so its about the same temp at night as the ambient. I guess I can put them in pots and keep them in there and see what happens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ML - Are your in the ground (I assume) and what variety? So you put in ground early spring (March/April) - harvest those in July/Aug - Then replant some of those in Sept to harvest in Dec. Is that right ? And this is for white potatoes, not sweet potatoes.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
ML - Are your in the ground (I assume) and what variety? So you put in ground early spring (March/April) - harvest those in July/Aug - Then replant some of those in Sept to harvest in Dec. Is that right ? And this is for white potatoes, not sweet potatoes.
I have done a lot of experimentation to determine the best potato varieties for my growing zone and to develop a growing cycle for them. My cycle is anchored around Holidays.

Now, I grow different varieties red and white and gold potatoes. Red Pontiac, dark red Norland, Sarpo Mira, Elba, and Yukon Gold. Most are grown in the ground but some in HK containers.

First planting is in early Feb. on or before Valentines Day. They need to get an early start to beat the oppressive heat here.

That crop is harvested late May complete usually by Memorial Day.

The unused smaller ones become the seed potatoes for fall. After one to two months of dormancy I encourage them to begin sprouting. I plant those that have sprouted in late August before Labor Day.

They are ready for harvest 90 days later from Thanksgiving to Christmas depending on planting date. Those growing in Nov. and Dec. may require occasional protection from frost, but it is important to let them grow about 90 days.

Repeat the cycle...the unused smaller ones are dormant for a time and then become the seed potatoes for the following Feb. This cycle enables a continuous supply of terrific new potatoes.

Sometimes we run low on garden grown potatoes in about Oct. and April and at those times occasionally "rob" some growing new potatoes to fill the gaps. I've also experimented with sweet potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, Jicama as potato substitutes with varying degrees of success.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
It appears the planting times in the U.S may be different to here in the UK. However, setting aside the gardening books etc bulbs and tubers, potatoes being classified as tubers. Each will self-indicate when to plant by chitting , producing shoots. Actually both bulbs, tubers and rhinzomes can be planted prior to shoots showing.
Might I suggest planting asap, provided the ground isn't frozen. Just my method of planting potatoes. Spade dig the rows to a spade depth. Set the tuber if possible on a layer of compost. The next row of digging will cover the tuber. I would then dig another two rows and plant the next row of tubers, then continue. Ridging or earthing - up can be done as required according to haulm growth rate.
It is questionable about composting the discarded haulm (plant) as some poisons are contained therein. Potatoes belong to the Solanaceae family.
NB: A Spade depth will usually be safe from frost.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Mike and MeadowLark. Its supposed to be winter here (although in 60s today) so the recent 20s and 30s killed the potato tops there were in the ground (I didnt cover)....so I think I will try to put these sprouted potatoes in pots in the GHouse (even though I cant seem to keep it very warm). Maybe keeping the frost off and trying to run a small ceramic heater in there when its 20s-30s to keep them alive for 3 more months. Throwing some bone meal and organic pellet food in there with them.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
even though I cant seem to keep it very warm..
It doesn't have to be "warm" for potatoes... just protected from frosts and/or freezing temps which will kill the tops back and reduce production. They will normally come back from a frost/freeze several times, but production suffers.

In my experience, first frost = 10% reduction, second frost/freeze another 20% additional penalty. Beyond that I haven't experienced three freezes but would expect significant penalty to production. Protection really helps the production.

p.s. you need not worry about the tubers covered in soil...only the green tops are vulnerable to freezing in our zone and that is what needs protection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to know...so doing pots in the GHouse should help then and if it gets too cold, I can "try" to section off a smaller area to try to keep warmer (talking about the teens and 20s). When I built the GHouse, I dont think I spent enough time "sealing" every crack so it doesn't stay as warm at night than during the day with the sun. When I clear out the plants in the spring, I guess I will spend some time caulking and foaming the cracks and air gaps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got a bunch of sprouting white potatoes in pots and in the GHouse today. Not going to heat, but will cover with blanket when it gets down to 35 or below at night. During the day, the sun should keep the temps up enough. Empty pots center and left are all potatoes.
Potato Pots Dec 28 web.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I find covering the north wall of the greenhouse with bubble wrap makes a huge difference to keeping it warm. Being a cheapskate I save all the bits from packing, but a roll of the stuff is not expensive.

Ask a Question