Potato leaves yellowing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I got a box in the back of a small park, and well the bottom leaves are yellowing but I don't know why I have some garlic on the edge to hopefully repel pests, but I don't know what is causing this I read about a fungus but the stems are not browning like I read on the web, and I added over an inch of compost hoping that would stem any mal nutrition issue. I attached a picture, I am limited to organic solutions due to park rules I could use some help. Sorry for this to be my first post, but I need help
Daniel
AKA
terramir

Attachments

• IMG_20220507_203420689~2.jpg
    IMG_20220507_203420689~2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your plant is suffering from nitrogen chlorosis. It needs to be fed with fertilizer. Store bought bagged compost has an NPK value of less than 1 and is not intended to be a fertilizer. Go purchase organic fertilizer but make sure it has OMRI written somewhere on the bag.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Potatoes usually yellow as the growing season come to an end. So that's perfectly normal. But you should be cautious if this yellowing happens before the tubers are ready for harvest. Which will mean the potatoes have been infested with psyllid or the wilt fungi is causing the yellowing. Here you'll need the OMRI fertilizer as @Chuck has suggested.

But don't overthink either. The yellowing problem might be a simple watering issue - either you're overwatering the potatoes or you're not watering them enough. So check the soil and see if it's too watery or too dry. This depends on the weather or where the potatoes are, mainly in terms of sunlight exposure. Which also may be a factor to why they're yellowing.

The yellowing might also be due to improper soil pH. So check that too. But I'd advise you to start basic before you go all technical.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Potato plants need plenty of potassium to grow well and produce large, healthy tubers. However, if there is not enough potassium, the leaves will turn yellow, moving from the bottom of the plant to the top. This can be avoided by planting your potatoes in soil rich in organic matter such as compost or manure.

Ask a Question