Potato Seeds Shoots Black on Tips (see pic)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Excited to get these potatoes in the ground. I opened the bag today the shoots looked longer than I'd like. However, I still cut them up today so ready to plant tomorrow. However, looking at them now, the shoots appear black on the tips. Is this of concern? I'd hate to have them go into the ground without success in growing. Do I get another bad of seed potatoes instead? thank you
IMG_0467.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong with your cuttings plant them as they are. Do not brake eye sprouts off the potato they often never grow back. Potatoes are amazing eye sprouts can freeze off or get broken off a little shorter but as long as there is still a sprout there it will grow back. 1 eye cuttings grow large new potatoes, 2 eye cuttings grow smaller new potatoes, 3 eye cuttings will grow much smaller new potatoes, each cutting acts like 1 plant, each plant grows 1 lb of new potatoes for me in TN but when I lived in Illinois I use to get 4 lbs of new potatoes from each plant. TN is too hot & dry for a good potato crop 100° June to Sept with very little rain all summer. I have 100 potato plants this year in 3 rows I hope to get 100 lbs of new potatoes this year but don't count on it. Kennebec grow great in TN. Red Pontic grow best in TN they are HOT weather plants each plant produces 4 lbs of new potatoes but we like Kennebec best so that is what I grow.

100_4331.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question