Pink muhly grass not doing well

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

I planted some pink muhly grass this year in front of my house and it looks like it’s struggling. Most of the grass strands are brown and bent over to the ground with only 5-10 strands actually being green and vertical. They get 6+ hours of sun now that it’s summer, but The area they are in is mulched so I’m wondering if there’s too much moisture retention? I’m not really sure what to do!

Any advice??
IMG_0639.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I am going to say that it may be to moist and not enough sunshine. It can stand a little shade but you probably need at least 8 hours of sun. You might consider moving them to a dryer area with more sun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your soil is compacted and too dense and lacks enough nitrogen for ornamental grass. When you put hardwood mulch in the same bed year after year, you tie up all the Nitrogen in the soil. The reason is that wood has to have nitrogen to decompose and so it will suck all the nitrogen out of the soil completely to break down. You need to prep your beds if you grow this type of grass or the plants will fail. .

Ask a Question