Pine Shavings?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pine shavings will mostly add carbon to the soil but only after it breaks down which will tie up nitrogen in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gypsum might be s better choice. Very cheap but its not going to happen over night and will increase calcuim levels.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gypsum might be s better choice. Very cheap but its not going to happen over night and will increase calcuim levels.

MOD
Will Gypsum help with Lime.

I'm using Sunshine 4 and I was told by a Grow Shop not to add Lime but I'm having a problem with Blossom Rot on Tomatoes I just used Sunshine 4. Thinking of using some Lime.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lime works best if you need to raise the PH. Use Gypsum when you dont want to raise the PH. I use Gypsum for my tomatoes at planting and add a bit throughout the growing season. It also help neutralize salt. Gypsum is basically calcuim sulfate. It is a better choice in my opinion. Lime has it uses for acidic soil.

Give it a shot only one way to find out, works for me.

Here is a clip:
"Gypsum, and particularly its calcium component, improves soil structure. Soluble calcium enhances soil aggregation and porosity to improve aeration and water infiltration. Soils that have too much sodium or too much magnesium relative to calcium can deflocculate or cause soil particles to disperse. When these particles disperse that can settle and seal the soil. Addition of soluble calcium helps overcome the dispersion effects of magnesium or sodium ions."

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since you planted already to help blossom end rot faster you can spray the leaves with a calcuim based liquid fertilizer. Plenty of options but I never had to use it yet.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Really now calling it good on my Tomatoes for now because they have basically done their thing we have had plenty but my plans are to raise a few in the Greenhouse this Winter.

I have been going heavy on Magnesium because I was told this is what they need.

I always understood Lime brought PH down. Either way it changes it.

Been using Tap Water mainly because I water so much and it is easier but PH is 8.

Found some spray for my Lawn to break the Clay down.

Going do a bunch of work on it I'm sure it will mean more mowing. Have only mowed once this year.

big rockpile

Ask a Question