Pest Identification problems...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! First time posting and apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. My recent attempt at planting a variety of seeds started well with almost 100% germination. Sadly within two or three days many of my flower seedlings have been sliced/cut and the leaves are either eaten or carried away.
- 100% of the Sweet Peas have been cleanly sliced at the base near the soil
- 80% of the Cosmos and 30% of the Snapdragons have had all leaves/cotyledons taken, leaving the stem only
As a 'first time' gardener I'm hoping someone might may have some insights into what pest this might be targetting these seeds in particular?
- Seeds were sown indoors and undercover (though not airtight)
- Yellow sticky sheets have caught two small black flies (unsure of the name), but from what I'm reading elsewhere, these don't appear to do this type of damage
- there are no slug or snail trails anywhere.
- no sightings of caterpillars in the house
- marigolds, tomatoes, nasturtiums, chili peppers, thyme, mint all appear untouched (or very minor nibbles).
Hoping someone might have some advice as to what this pest could be and any possible solutions.
Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You may not see any slugs during daylight, but they can come out at night. And if they are samll, you won't necessarily see any trails. It's worth trying some slug bait - or small shallow containers of beer. They love it to death! And it's organic for those who are that way inclined.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Where are/were your plants growing? Consider the possibility of mice and other rodents, or rabbits/hares (Lagomorpha).

Do go out an hour after sunset with a flashlight and take a look at your plants. You may find a variety of nocturnal visitors of which you are unaware.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for the replies Marck and cntrlwagdnr

Marck, all of the plants have been germinated indoors, but some of the older ones are being hardened off in a cold frame during the day. I suspect that a small pest may have hitched a ride when I've brought them inside during the early evening. I don't think it's a rodent as the newer sweetpeas were in upright kitchen roll tubes and under a propagator lid, so I'd expect to see a bit more disturbance.

Cntrlwagdnr, you may be right about a small slug. I had discounted them initially as only the Cosmo's first sets of leaves were taken so I had assumed the fine, tender stems would not be able to support the weight of a slug. On reflection, perhaps a hungry one could bend it over and have their munch on the top part.

We apparently have Leafcutter Ants here in the UK, so these are now high on my list of suspects. From what I've read, Diamaticious Earth is ineffective (and I won't use it outside given its effect on pollinators), so if anyone has any advice on how to discourage leafcutter ants I'd love to hear from you!

Again, thanks a bunch for taking the time everyone. Happy planting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wnat species of leafcutter ants are native to Great Britain? Have you seen such ants about?

If the problem is ants. perhaps a tanglefoot barrier around the seed trays would help.

Are Earwigs (Dermaptera) about?

Ask a Question