Pest Identification Help Avocado

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there, I am new to the forum and I'm in really bad need of some advice. I have my avocado plant in my backyard which is around 3ft & is trying to grow a lot of leaves however, I see that some pest is eating off the leaves and causing a lot of damage to the plant. Haven't been able to spot the pest at night with a flashlight. Here are a few pictures. It would be great if anyone of your can share any experiences that might help with this situation.
IMG_0608.jpg IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0610.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0614.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Caterpillars maybe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello there, I am new to the forum and I'm in really bad need of some advice. I have my avocado plant in my backyard which is around 3ft & is trying to grow a lot of leaves however, I see that some pest is eating off the leaves and causing a lot of damage to the plant. Haven't been able to spot the pest at night with a flashlight. Here are a few pictures. It would be great if anyone of your can share any experiences that might help with this situation.
View attachment 38641 View attachment 38642 View attachment 38643 View attachment 38644 View attachment 38645
It could be as @Becky said, caterpillars but it could also be insects. To be on the safe side lets kill both. Get a product which has spinosad as its active ingredient. Any nursery will know what you are asking for.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks a lot Becky and Chuck. I really appreciate your guys help. I'll try to visit home depot and see if I can get something with that. Are there any off the shelve brands that have that substance that you know off? Also, is it safe to use it on a fruit tree also?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks a lot Becky and Chuck. I really appreciate your guys help. I'll try to visit home depot and see if I can get something with that. Are there any off the shelve brands that have that substance that you know off? Also, is it safe to use it on a fruit tree also?
There are a lot of different brands that have spinosad. GreenLight Lawn & Garden Insect Killer, Bonides
Capitan Jack, Garden Insect Spray by Monterey and many others. Spinosad is safe to use on anything and you can harvest on day of use. It is harmless to pets and people. I don't know if HD has it or not. They are more of a chemical poison place but they might have it. Any real nursery will have it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, you guys are awesome! I'll try to get one of those today and use it tonight - hopefully that'll help! I'll post back with results.
Thanks again Chuck & Becky!

Ask a Question