Pepper plants no fruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
My bell peppers are growing well but not putting on fruits, meanwhile other growers are getting mature bells. I planted same time as tomatoes and they're doing great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If your plants are not producing buds and blooms you need to add phosphorus to their nutrition. The best way organically is to add bone meal or rock phosphate. Or if not organic use Triple Phosphate. If your plants are producing blooms and they are dropping off of the plant it could be because of the temperature or pollination. If the daytime temps approach 93F you will have blossom drop. 80F is the optimum temperature for sweet peppers. As far as pollination goes if the humidity is too high the pollen becomes tacky and thus not viable. If the humidity is not too high you can give the plants a good shaking a couple of times per day to help the pollen move. Adding a handful or two of epsom salts around the base of the plant will help with fruit set.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sweet bell peppers don't like HOT weather I plant them under the east side of a shade tree so they get early morning sun coolest time of the day then full shade from 12 noon to dark. You can trick the plants by spraying cool water on them several times a day only after they are in full shade. Plants need 15-15-15 fertilizer once a week. Potassium make the plants load up with 50 blossoms & grow 50 large bell peppers. Phosphorus makes plants grow largest of long roots. Nitrogen makes big 6 foot tall plants. Put a lot of organic material in the soil to make it easy for roots to grow. Pile mulch around plants to how soil moisture. We had almost 2 months of 100° temperatures every day this summer here in TN. My plants did good first week of June then too hot to do much but Oct will be bell pepper explosion 50 very large 4"x6" Big Bertha peppers from each of the 4 plants. Our last frost is Nov 5. I am too lazy these day to cover plants to protect them from frost for a month. Our first frost is April 20. We had 47" of rain this year Jan to April then June to Sept is desert with not much rain.

Grow some Carman Peppers next year they do great in hot weather. They look like big 7" long chilies but they are sweet with better flavor than bell peppers. I have 4 plants & have been getting a dozen ripe red color pepper every week all summer in this 100° weather. If you want red carman peppers leave them on the plants until they are RED color they will NOT turn red in the kitchen like most peppers do. Carman need 15-15-15 fertilizer too but not as fussy about soft soil like bell peppers are. Carman peppers are a sweet pepper that taste like sweet bell peppers but plants grow like hot chili pepper plants they like hot weather.

Next year I am only going to grow Carman peppers NO more bell peppers in our hot weather. I also grew Jalapeno peppers & banana peppers.

100_5403.JPG

100_5221.JPG

100_5478.JPG

100_5422.JPG

Ask a Question