Help! My tomato and pepper plants are dying..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I attached a photo of one of my tomato plants as well as one of my pepper plants, all of my plants look like this and I'm afraid they're goners! Can someone tell me what the problem might be? Am I over watering? Not watering enough? Not a watering problem?
Thank you so much in advance

Attachments

• 20210525_113607.jpg
    20210525_113607.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210525_113556.jpg
    20210525_113556.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all, please update your profile so we all will have a better understanding of what is going on. After all, what grows now in Florida probably won't do so well in Colorado. And why is that black plastic covering 1/2 of the roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First of all, please update your profile so we all will have a better understanding of what is going on. After all, what grows now in Florida probably won't do so well in Colorado. And why is that black plastic covering 1/2 of the roots?

Updated my profile. I do in fact live in Colorado, in zone 6b. The plastic is weed barrier and the roots are dead, not a part of any of my plants. The plant was planted with the bottom leaves plucked off before hand and put into the soil up to where the bottom leaves were taken off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Updated my profile. I do in fact live in Colorado, in zone 6b. The plastic is weed barrier and the roots are dead, not a part of any of my plants. The plant was planted with the bottom leaves plucked off before hand and put into the soil up to where the bottom leaves were taken off.
I may be wrong in my understanding of this but you planted peppers and tomatoes with the soil level way above the cotyledon leaves and then covered the soil with plastic. I can understand the plastic as a soil warmer and as a weed preventative. I understand planting tomatoes deep, up to the first set of true leaves. How large were these plants when put into the ground and how deep were they planted. I am missing something here. Please explain in simple step by step explanations of EXACTLY what you did before and at planting and the care of the plants thereafter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I apologize, I'm not sure what you're missing. I planted them as I previously said- and that was about a week ago. The seeds were started back in February. Since being planted they have been watered every day, two days ago I did not water them as the soil was still damp and they were beginning to yellow (I sign I had believed to mean they were being over watered) however, the next day they looked no better and after being watered they continued to look worse. Where they're planted is the same area that I had my garden last year and everything did very well. I didnt know if judging by the coloring or look of the plants if there was any indication of what my solution could be?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I apologize, I'm not sure what you're missing. I planted them as I previously said- and that was about a week ago. The seeds were started back in February. Since being planted they have been watered every day, two days ago I did not water them as the soil was still damp and they were beginning to yellow (I sign I had believed to mean they were being over watered) however, the next day they looked no better and after being watered they continued to look worse. Where they're planted is the same area that I had my garden last year and everything did very well. I didnt know if judging by the coloring or look of the plants if there was any indication of what my solution could be?
OK. Seeded in Feb. That means that after 4-6 weeks the plants should have been transplanted. This makes it NLT April 1 that the plants should have been planted. A week ago makes at least 6 weeks that the plants were in containers that should have been in the ground. But you couldn't transplant because it was too cold. These had to have been extra large transplants and if they had not been repotted at least once were rootbound. You said earlier that you plucked off the bottom leaves. This would have OK for the tomatoes but not so good for the peppers. Deep planted tomatoes will make roots up the stem, peppers won't. Tomatoes and especially peppers dislike cold soil. If nighttime temps were in the 40's or low 50's this is too cold for them as the soil temperature has to be in the low to mid 50's. Anything below 55F is detrimental to tomatoes. Now about the plastic. You said that the plastic wasn't any part of your plants. In the first picture it shows a plant that is planted in the plastic and in the second picture it shows a plants root system half covered with the plastic. Plastic is not a bad thing in your climate. One thing about plastic is that it doesn't allow any evaporation. If you watered your plants through the hole in the plastic it could not evaporate and then you watered it again and again To make a long story short what I believe happened was transplanting into too cold of soil, watering way too much and transplant shock. Water doesn't hurt a plant, the lack of oxygen does. Do you have a soil thermometer? If so what is the temperature at 5 inches deep? If it is below 60F tomatoes will grow very slowly, at 55 they basically stop growing. Five inches is about how deep a large tomato should be planted, deeper for BIG transplants. How deep did you plant yours? These two plants shown could possibly survive but they will always be a weak and stunted plant. You will be better off getting more transplants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
That weed block may be plastic, but it's water & air permeable, & so should allow the soil to drain, water to evaporate, & the plants to breathe.
I don't think that's your problem.

" Since being planted they have been watered every day, two days ago I did not water them as the soil was still damp and they were beginning to yellow "

Overwatered I'm afraid.
The roots have rotted.
Your tomatoes may grow more, but your peppers won't.
Chuck is right, start again.

Ask a Question