Peculiar Beetroot

Reaction score
Country
France
I live in a community and have a question about some beetroots we are growing. So, the doubt is: normally beetroots are red, but many of them are still green, even though they look ready to be harvested (the leaves are gone and the beet is really big+out of the soil). Why are they still green? Is it a different variety of beetroot perhaps? And, is it possible to eat them when they have this colour? If yes, is it possible to eat them raw or better to cook them?
IMG_20230901_094548.jpg
IMG_20230901_094629.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that the beetroot skin gets tougher as it remains under the earth. As long as the flesh is firm, I think it best to cook it - as it is, and then peel it. This will result in perfectly good beetroot I suspect. Please let us know how you get on. Welcome to the forums:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the kitchen team finds that your beetroot has become too woody (it has obviously been in the ground too long) you may find you could salvage it by roasting it in the oven. In future, I think the prescribed time for this crop between sowing the seed and harvesting is about 40 - 50 days.
Although your beetroot is probably a bit woody, it should be safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Should be safe, possibly woody. But beets are kind of like potatoes, they don't like sun.

If they've popped out of the ground, bury it again.

Beets away from sun are almost always red.

Ask a Question