Peculiar behaviour seen to be believed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my name is Rudolph and I'm not a gardener, but I do compost and enjoy the tomatoes that somehow made their way into our garden this year, growing healthily, but thirstily.

I am finally developing a game, something I've wanted to do for a long time, and was looking to base it around keeping pests from a garden. It should be fun, being a game, I know not so in real life, and was hoping to some of your might part with interesting stories that you might have forgotten about, giving how animals behave.

I'd like to make my game authentic and fun, so I hope you can help me out, if you don't mind.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @rhocks welcome to the forum.

If you compost kitchen waste then you probably got the tomato plants from seed in the compost.

To keep slugs and snails off my kale i used to put the 4pt milk cartons over them and sprinkle a thick layer of just bought cat litter.
Haven't any pics to show you.

Not sure if it worked very well.
Gave up growing them, seemed too much hard work. Also i wanted to plant more flowers for the bees and butterflies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi, my name is Rudolph and I'm not a gardener, but I do compost and enjoy the tomatoes that somehow made their way into our garden this year, growing healthily, but thirstily.

I am finally developing a game, something I've wanted to do for a long time, and was looking to base it around keeping pests from a garden. It should be fun, being a game, I know not so in real life, and was hoping to some of your might part with interesting stories that you might have forgotten about, giving how animals behave.

I'd like to make my game authentic and fun, so I hope you can help me out, if you don't mind.
If you would think about a garden in the same way sim earth, wwc, or other grow as you go time killers were interlinked internally you can literally come up with a game called BATTLEGARDEN! This is where remote players can assemble into teams of ants, aphids or other groups of pestilent insecta and seek to deliver their bacteria and viral load while chewing off the structures of the plant in an attempt to take the garden down. Fungal groups are the same, slow but nasty. The gardener group must be a democracy, we are always conflicted about some treatment or fertiler being the best choice, and there can only be one gardener, or maybe it is a community garden where a team plays? Then the plants themselves, the flower teams and the fruit teams and subterreanian pathogen teams like the nematodes and more fungi. Where are those hidden growth hormones? Root rot is big fun when the wandering gardener waters the spores you have placed! I could see a game un a garden, just a bit more macro than you might be thinking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @rhocks welcome to the forum.

If you compost kitchen waste then you probably got the tomato plants from seed in the compost.

To keep slugs and snails off my kale i used to put the 4pt milk cartons over them and sprinkle a thick layer of just bought cat litter.
Haven't any pics to show you.

Not sure if it worked very well.
Gave up growing them, seemed too much hard work. Also i wanted to plant more flowers for the bees and butterflies.

Thanks very much Logan for the info on the composting of tomatoes, and you're likely right. I didn't realise the pips were so hardy, like Sesame seeds I suppose - if not ruptured then they travel right through the digestive system.

Interesting about the milk cartons, I've heard and seen many a DIY effort against slugs and such. Before I tip my peelings I leave them in a container next to my kitchen and often I hear them munching (loudly!) in the dead of night, I don't how they get in?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you would think about a garden in the same way sim earth, wwc, or other grow as you go time killers were interlinked internally you can literally come up with a game called BATTLEGARDEN! This is where remote players can assemble into teams of ants, aphids or other groups of pestilent insecta and seek to deliver their bacteria and viral load while chewing off the structures of the plant in an attempt to take the garden down. Fungal groups are the same, slow but nasty. The gardener group must be a democracy, we are always conflicted about some treatment or fertiler being the best choice, and there can only be one gardener, or maybe it is a community garden where a team plays? Then the plants themselves, the flower teams and the fruit teams and subterreanian pathogen teams like the nematodes and more fungi. Where are those hidden growth hormones? Root rot is big fun when the wandering gardener waters the spores you have placed! I could see a game un a garden, just a bit more macro than you might be thinking.
If you would think about a garden in the same way sim earth, wwc, or other grow as you go time killers were interlinked internally you can literally come up with a game called BATTLEGARDEN!

“BattleGarden” is a superb name, wow, it doesn’t even exist!

This is where remote players can assemble into teams of ants, aphids or other groups of pestilent insecta and seek to deliver their bacteria and viral load while chewing off the structures of the plant in an attempt to take the garden down. Fungal groups are the same, slow but nasty. The gardener group must be a democracy, we are always conflicted about some treatment or fertiler being the best choice, and there can only be one gardener, or maybe it is a community garden where a team plays? Then the plants themselves, the flower teams and the fruit teams and subterreanian pathogen teams like the nematodes and more fungi.

That is a good idea, but beyond my ammeter abilities, I’m going to go solo on this one for people sitting on the toilet :)

Where are those hidden growth hormones? Root rot is big fun when the wandering gardener waters the spores you have placed!

That’s a good idea, I didn’t consider going underground, or even from their perspective (and I’m a big Dungeon Keeper™ fan), good idea, thank you!

I could see a game un a garden, just a bit more macro than you might be thinking.

Exactly, that sounds like a solid update, a new game mechanic, wow. I’m looking to focus on the surface to begin with (grass is easier to draw, I have to learn how to do all the graphics as well).

Good fertiliser for mind though, thank you very much DirtMechanic !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you would think about a garden in the same way sim earth, wwc, or other grow as you go time killers were interlinked internally you can literally come up with a game called BATTLEGARDEN!

“BattleGarden” is a superb name, wow, it doesn’t even exist!

This is where remote players can assemble into teams of ants, aphids or other groups of pestilent insecta and seek to deliver their bacteria and viral load while chewing off the structures of the plant in an attempt to take the garden down. Fungal groups are the same, slow but nasty. The gardener group must be a democracy, we are always conflicted about some treatment or fertiler being the best choice, and there can only be one gardener, or maybe it is a community garden where a team plays? Then the plants themselves, the flower teams and the fruit teams and subterreanian pathogen teams like the nematodes and more fungi.

That is a good idea, but beyond my ammeter abilities, I’m going to go solo on this one for people sitting on the toilet :)

Where are those hidden growth hormones? Root rot is big fun when the wandering gardener waters the spores you have placed!

That’s a good idea, I didn’t consider going underground, or even from their perspective (and I’m a big Dungeon Keeper™ fan), good idea, thank you!

I could see a game un a garden, just a bit more macro than you might be thinking.

Exactly, that sounds like a solid update, a new game mechanic, wow. I’m looking to focus on the surface to begin with (grass is easier to draw, I have to learn how to do all the graphics as well).

Good fertiliser for mind though, thank you very much DirtMechanic !

Thank you. It has actually taken me a long time to appreciate manure properly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking a little more into the technique of milk cartons to defend against slugs, is that where they're placed into the ground like a dam, with beer in to incapacitate them?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking a little more into the technique of milk cartons to defend against slugs, is that where they're placed into the ground like a dam, with beer in to incapacitate them?
no
i cut the bottom off and put it over the plant. Pile the soil around the outside of the carton so it doesn't blow away. I used to sprinkle clean cat litter around the cartons as well. Put a good layer around. I start the parsnip seeds indoors into empty kitchen paper rolls, when I plant them out i use the cartons over the parsnip seedlings to make small greenhouses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
no
i cut the bottom off and put it over the plant. Pile the soil around the outside of the carton so it doesn't blow away. I used to sprinkle clean cat litter around the cartons as well. Put a good layer around. I start the parsnip seeds indoors into empty kitchen paper rolls, when I plant them out i use the cartons over the parsnip seedlings to make small greenhouses.

I see, so you barricade around it. The cat litter being absorbent is like salt in a way: unfriendly to slugs and snails. When you said "over" I was unsure how the plant would receive the light it needed, so just like building a barrier wall then, or do the rays make it through the polymer body?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking into seasonal fruits and vegetables that can be grown, beginning with Spring (beginning of March until the end of May) I would like to confirm the following:

VEGETABLES

• Turnip: harassed by flies and beetles, or club root, they seem pretty hardy all considering?

• Asparagus: thrives in a non-acidic neutral soil, can succumb to Beetles - one thing I don't know is which way Asparagus need to face, if applicable?

• Rhubarb: can be covered in darkness and harvested, but also likes a lot of sun. Slugs/Snails are its predator.

FRUITS

• Passion Fruit: can survive Spring months if left facing South for sunlight and regularly watered.

• Chinese Loquat: requires a greenhouse environment to blossom fruit, but can survive outdoors?

Any thoughts and experiences welcome !

Ask a Question