Peanut Harvest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My poor garden has suffered from my neglect the past few months, but somehow it still has managed to produce. I finally got around to digging up the peanuts yesterday and I found several sprouted as well as a few baby plants. I wasn't prepared to pot those up, but I had some starter trays on hand so that will have to do for the moment.

The photo is from the plants in the first bin. The ones in the second bin were larger, I guess somehow I did a better job with those... I'm just hoping I got all the loose ones from the soil. I guess I ended up with about double of what is showing here. There were maybe 5 or 6 plants in each tub.

12512301_10207910066967255_6851380703858359945_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, that's my favorite, freshly harvested peanuts. I would boil it for 10 minutes or so and it would serve as a good snack for me. Once we had some peanuts planted in the backyard and I was not expecting to harvest a kilo from those small plants. When we checked and my husband said it is ready for harvesting, I was the one who pulled the peanut plants. Lo and behold, one plant has many peanut pods.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, never seen em freshly dug before, good crop (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, they look great!:) I've never eaten freshly harvested peanuts, but I bet they're delicious:) I must start growing them too:D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been inspired to grow peanuts this year. I love peanuts, it will be thrill to say I grew my own. I know it would not be as many as I like to eat be it would still be fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My poor garden has suffered from my neglect the past few months, but somehow it still has managed to produce. I finally got around to digging up the peanuts yesterday and I found several sprouted as well as a few baby plants. I wasn't prepared to pot those up, but I had some starter trays on hand so that will have to do for the moment.

The photo is from the plants in the first bin. The ones in the second bin were larger, I guess somehow I did a better job with those... I'm just hoping I got all the loose ones from the soil. I guess I ended up with about double of what is showing here. There were maybe 5 or 6 plants in each tub.

12512301_10207910066967255_6851380703858359945_n.jpg

ok i am officially jealous....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I'm also in the boat of never having seen freshly dug up peanuts - that's really neat! Certainly one of the more unique things that I have seen growing in a garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@ChanellG How do fresh peanuts taste compared with the ones you'd get in the shop?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Gee, that's my favorite, freshly harvested peanuts. I would boil it for 10 minutes or so and it would serve as a good snack for me. Once we had some peanuts planted in the backyard and I was not expecting to harvest a kilo from those small plants. When we checked and my husband said it is ready for harvesting, I was the one who pulled the peanut plants. Lo and behold, one plant has many peanut pods.

Do you boil them right away? I read that you needed to dry them out for a couple weeks first. I put all mine in a paper bag to hang for later.

One plant can produce dozens of peanuts. I probably would have had more had I given the plants more space and hilled them up better. Maybe next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, they look great!:) I've never eaten freshly harvested peanuts, but I bet they're delicious:) I must start growing them too:D

It's really easy! I soak them in the shell and then stick them in pots after they sprout. Later, I transplant them to a larger container (usually when they start to bloom) so they have room to spread and because there is a little spike that forms after the flower fades that shoots down into the ground to make the peanut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have been inspired to grow peanuts this year. I love peanuts, it will be thrill to say I grew my own. I know it would not be as many as I like to eat be it would still be fun.

It's so easy Pat, I was just thinking it is a great plant to grow with a kid. You're going to have fun watching the plant grow and bloom and produce peanuts. It's very low maintenance too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@ChanellG How do fresh peanuts taste compared with the ones you'd get in the shop?

I have to say I don't know, but I imagine they are far better just like with other food producing plants. I plan on roasting them so I have to let them dry out a bit first. My grandfather loves peanuts and I knew he would get a kick out of me having them in the yard. I saved last year's peanuts, then couldn't find them when it was time to plant. I mentioned this to a friend and she gave me a handful of them to plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Do you boil them right away? I read that you needed to dry them out for a couple weeks first. I put all mine in a paper bag to hang for later.

One plant can produce dozens of peanuts. I probably would have had more had I given the plants more space and hilled them up better. Maybe next year.

Yes, I boil the peanuts as soon as I can because the fresher the peanut, the sweeter. I sometimes buy a kilo of fresh peanut in the market where they sell with some soil in the shell. I soak it in water for 5 minutes and wash them thoroughly to remove the soild before boiling. But I only buy peanuts that look fresh so I am assured of the good taste. Old peanuts of about 2 days old have a different taste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, I boil the peanuts as soon as I can because the fresher the peanut, the sweeter. I sometimes buy a kilo of fresh peanut in the market where they sell with some soil in the shell. I soak it in water for 5 minutes and wash them thoroughly to remove the soild before boiling. But I only buy peanuts that look fresh so I am assured of the good taste. Old peanuts of about 2 days old have a different taste.

Ah, okay. Mine are already a few days old so I may as well wait and let them dry out a bit more before roasting. I'm glad to know there is no need to wait after harvesting them before boiling. I will definitely have to try doing that with the next batch. I will be starting them early this year - I have some already sprouted, actually; Hopefully this will mean a greater harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's really easy! I soak them in the shell and then stick them in pots after they sprout. Later, I transplant them to a larger container (usually when they start to bloom) so they have room to spread and because there is a little spike that forms after the flower fades that shoots down into the ground to make the peanut.
Thank you for the tip:) I'll definitely do it. Freshly harvested peanuts must be delicious and I'm sure they make a very healthy snack.

Ask a Question