JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm thinking of getting a peach tree, been thinking about it for awhile.
Local garden center has three options: Contender, Red Haven Semi-Dwarf, and Reliance Semi-Dwarf.

First, if any of you are familiar with these types, I'd love to hear your opinions.
Secondly, I was reading that Red Haven grow peaches in their third year, and Reliance grow them in the 4th. I'm guessing the trees at garden centers are typically a year old? I like that Reliance only gets about 12', but If I get peaches a year earlier, maybe Red Haven is the way to go... I would love to hear opinions on that aswell.

Next, if I plant it in my yard, should I put mulch around it or is it ok just to let grass grow around it?

Anything other tips etc would be great too.

I plan on looking this stuff up eventually but finding info on multiple sites can be confusing, so I'd rather hear it all hear right from people who grow them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The main thing you have to worry about with peach trees is the amount of chilling hours required for any or each variety

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've got no idea what that means.
Chilling hours are the number of hours below 45F that the tree has to have in the winter to overcome dormancy. Up where you are I am sure it is well over 1000 whereas where I am in Texas it is around 500. You have to be very careful as to which variety of peach you purchase. If you bought a peach tree meant for my Texas climate and planted it where you live it would bloom in the middle of winter and you would never get any peaches

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Chilling hours are the number of hours below 45F that the tree has to have in the winter to overcome dormancy. Up where you are I am sure it is well over 1000 whereas where I am in Texas it is around 500. You have to be very careful as to which variety of peach you purchase. If you bought a peach tree meant for my Texas climate and planted it where you live it would bloom in the middle of winter and you would never get any peaches

Yeah, no problem here, all peach trees are rated for my zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, no problem here, all peach trees are rated for my zone.
Here are a couple of tips when planting your trees. First, dig a square hole instead of a round hole. This will eliminate possible encircling roots and second don't backfill the hole with a lot of compost or other enriched material. Backfill with the dirt you removed while digging the hole. A little is OK but if you use a lot the roots of the tree will stay within that enriched soil and not grow out into the surrounding soil. After you plant the tree is when put a heavy layer of compost and mulch around the base of the tree. And before you plant the tree fill up the hole with water and make sure it drains well. Also, do not plant the tree deeper than its rootball and root flare

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
No special precautions. Good soil and I do mulch every year with wood chips and water is it get too dry. Sometimes early frost in the Spring kills the flowers..

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FQJAS 26 August 2011 Redhaven Peach Tree
There is one peach tree in the garden. This year it produced about 30 quality fruit. A tree ripened peach is a real pleasure to eat. My view is this is the only way to eat peaches if at all possible. This tree was planted in May of 2008, purchased in a pot from a supplier.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just bought one today and planted it. I nearly went with Red Haven but decided on Reliance in the end.

My next question.. there are a lot of flowers on it, will they turn into peaches? and should I prevent it from growing peaches, or at least limit it since it's so small?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just bought one today and planted it. I nearly went with Red Haven but decided on Reliance in the end.

My next question.. there are a lot of flowers on it, will they turn into peaches? and should I prevent it from growing peaches, or at least limit it since it's so small?
It will more than likely self abort many if not most of the baby peaches by itself. Since this is a young small tree I would prune about 75% of the peaches if the tree doesn't do it by itself.

Reaction score
Although you already appear to have had plenty of excellent advice - there is one very important aspect that I feel is worth a mention and that is - as all stone fruits are very susceptible to brown rot - all stone fruiting trees are best grown in what is known as an open vase shape- which looks something similar to this

Peach Tree - Open Vase Shape.jpg

for the simple reason that - as open centered trees allow better air circulation as well as light penetration within the tree - it helps to reduce the development of brown rot and of course there is also the other added advantage that open centered trees have - in that they are way easier to keep at a workable height for harvesting - as all that is required is to top the branches at the height you wish the tree to be - in fact here most of ours are kept at between 6 - 7 ft.

Oh and before I forget - unlike many other fruiting plants - peach trees are generally pruned directly after fruiting - as pruning them while dormant can not only lead to disease but also make them susceptible to die back.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
all stone fruiting trees are best grown in what is known as an open vase shape

I've heard of this but wasn't sure if I should trim it now or wait until the roots take hold. This tree has had its center branch cut but for some reason it looks like they wanted to train another branch to go up.
IMG_1778 copy.jpg

Reaction score
I've heard of this but wasn't sure if I should trim it now or wait until the roots take hold. This tree has had its center branch cut but for some reason it looks like they wanted to train another branch to go up.
View attachment 5492

As now is not the best time to prune stone fruits - if it was me - although I have to admit I would be severely tempted - I would leave it until you do the regular pruning after the tree has fruited - which is generally around August - September time - especially as it should be relatively easy to shape as yours has already had the center removed :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is now in the ground and can't wait to see the fruits coming from it :) I love fresh peaches picking right off the tree :) Hopefully, you won't have too much issue with it.

Reaction score
I'd not worry too much about your peach tree, my dad had several and they were some of the easiest trees we ever grew, nothing like the pear and orange ones that never took off :( I've a lot nice memories with those trees at home, I remember I used to collect the caterpillars (some really huge ones) and play with them :) They were huge!!! Beige colored, with brown stripes and lots of dots.

Ask a Question