Pampas Grass....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I just joined this forum so I can get better answers than from Home Depot employees. I ordered some Pampas Grass "Plugs". The first TWO orders came dried up with a bit of soil that was dry like sand. No moisture at all. They were called "Dormant". They arrived in mid May and it's nearly mid June now. They haven't changed a bit. Brown and dry looking without a smidgen of green. No new growth. This was with about 10 or 12 Plugs. I Planted in two Large Pots of organic soil. I texted the Seller I bought these from over the net. He/they sent more, and I received them today. Being nearly mid June, I really was hoping for some green shoots. But they look like the others except these roots did have moist sand/dirt and a wet paper towel around them.
What's my question? Am I doing something wrong? Since these are not Bulbs or Corms or Tubers. Wouldn't you think they would need moisture around the long fibrous roots when sending through the mail? Let me point out too, I'm an AVID Gardener. I can usually grow most anything. I realize Pampas is a grass and not a tree or shrub. But it's huge and often used in a way of shrubs. Any useful tips would be highly appreciated, Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I forget where from. I want to say Ohio. These are NOT your typical Pampas Grasses. These are Purple and Blue. If they don't make it, obviously a waste of my money. About $66.00 for two small bunches. I've wasted a lot of money this year on plants that never came out of dormancy.

Ask a Question