Over-watered Tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have since read that the whole drainage thing with pebbles (or bricks or whatever) is hogwash and I'm willing to believe it. But I am older, I was told this some 40 years ago and it's just habit now!
I do what @CanadianLori does when planting in 5 gallon buckets or plastic containers - drill (or use a hammer and a nail) holes on the sides but at the very bottom of the container.

@grouie that is one seriously happy marigold plant. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Probably the best thing you could do, is to sit the pots ON TOP of the gravel/crocks/bricks, as this will ensure drainage, yet not compromise the amount of growing medium in the pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Over here, tomatoes die at the onset of the rains. That is the reason why the price of tomatoes in the market shoot up during the rainy season. A farmer said that the flowers of the tomato are destroyed when the rain falls on them, maybe they fail to fertilize. There are greenhouses here with tomatoes, they are intended for the rainy season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Over here, tomatoes die at the onset of the rains. That is the reason why the price of tomatoes in the market shoot up during the rainy season. A farmer said that the flowers of the tomato are destroyed when the rain falls on them, maybe they fail to fertilize. There are greenhouses here with tomatoes, they are intended for the rainy season.
Could you not fashion your own structure for growing tomatoes in the rainy season?
I don't know very much about Phillipine food.
If and when you have the time, would you introduce us to it, with some traditional meals?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have using pots for many of my different plants but most of them have drainage holes, and the ones that don't I added some pebble rocks since I don't own a drill. They seem to do the trick.

Ask a Question