Over watered aloe

Reaction score
Help! I received a a beautiful aloe as a wedding gift and I have over watered it. Is there any rescuing it?

Reaction score
Have you moved it into a pot with really good drainage? You might try that, if you haven't. A layer of gravel at the bottom before the soil can help with drainage. If it's showing signs of rotting, there may not be much you can do. Good luck with it, and check back in. I'll be curious to know if you saved it and if so how.

Reaction score
I did change to a terracotta pot this morning, with the gravel. Thanks so much. I would really hate to see this one go.

Reaction score
Aloes don't go that easily. It would have helped to leave it in a warm dry place for a few hours before re-potting. Cactus' can be left out in the sun and replanted. You will find that nothing happens to them. I rescued an aloe throw on the curb a few years ago. This one was pulled of the container and thrown. When I found it it looked all dry and shriveled. I left it in a bucket of water and re-potted it after a day. I came back so well. Since I had no place I gave it away to my mother in law when it was really healthy.

Reaction score
You can cut or remove any brown parts on the plant and don't water until the plant is completely dried out. You can leave it in a bright spot outside but I would leave it out of the sun until it recovers. The leaves will heal then you can move it into brighter sun.

Ask a Question