Do You Forget To Water Your Plants? Try a Diaper for Your Plants to Keep Them Watered.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The idea of taking a diaper apart and using it to help keep your plants watered is a new one to me. This video is very interesting, shows you how to use the crystals in your plants indoors and outdoors.

http://youtu.be/sXb8rJ8Rm3I

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, but for some reason every time I try to click on the video nothing happens. The idea sounds quite creative tho, I'm sure it'll come in handy later on. I might google this and see if I find a video on this subject :) Thnks for giving me the idea tho!

Reaction score
Clever idea although that isn't something that I would probably do. I can be lax in a lot of things but watering the plants is not one of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I can't watch this video either, the link seems to be broken. Could you reupload it, Pat? I'd love to watch it. It sounds like a perfect solution for my boyfriend, he always forgets about his poor plants;)
I don't need it though, I would never forget about my miniature roses:love: I water them every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would never put a diaper in the bottom of one of my plants. I try to avoid having chemicals anywhere near my garden, and disposable diapers really aren't a great idea for babies. They hold a lot of moisture, but I don't see how this would be good for plants since the idea is for the silicant to pull moisture away, which means it should take all the moisture from a plant, not keep it moist.

Reaction score
Burpee in their seed starting kit uses an innovation of your wet diaper to keep germinating seedlings and the enclosed environment to nurture them wet to damp without much human action. The wet pad drapes down into a lower level bath of water and it draws up moisture while the little seedling pods sit on the wet pad drawing moisture to allow the seedlings to germinate. Pretty neat and simple just like your solution to avoid plants over-drawing on their dryness account.

Reaction score
That is a unique idea and probably useful for some people, but it isn't something I would do. Honestly I think diapers are rather wasteful and full of lots of things that are bad for the environment so I wouldn't want it close to my plants.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for posting the video that had the broken link. It is good to know Burpee uses a similar technique in the starter kit.

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. I guess the gel isn't toxic, which is why people let the diapers touch their babies. I don't have that much trouble watering right now because it's the rainy season, but I might be able to use this tip during the summer.

Reaction score
Very interesting post Pat, since i am experiencing drought where i live i think this is a super creative way of ensuring that my plants are watered.

Reaction score
It seems like the gel or bead type of stuff that you are taking out of the diaper is the same type of stuff that you can buy as little crystals that you can mix in with your soil to keep water longer. I'm not sure which one would be more price effective though and I'm not sure if they're completely the same or not.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of the plants I have do not need a lot of water to survive and much prefer well-draining soil, but thanks for the link!

Reaction score
That is so cool to think that Burpee uses that method. I would love to see a picture of it to see if I'm picturing it right in my mind. This would be very useful for many baby plants. I wonder if this might work to have my boys enjoy planting some seedlings to watch grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would never put a diaper in the bottom of one of my plants. I try to avoid having chemicals anywhere near my garden, and disposable diapers really aren't a great idea for babies. They hold a lot of moisture, but I don't see how this would be good for plants since the idea is for the silicant to pull moisture away, which means it should take all the moisture from a plant, not keep it moist.

That was kind of my thought as well- you want the plants to benefit from the water, not the diaper! lol. It is an interesting idea, though, and I'm always up for clever solutions to things...maybe it could be useful in some other application.

Ask a Question