Over fertilizing tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two different kinds of tomatoes. One is a grape tomato the other is beef steak. Both are indeterminate. I fertilize regularly with diluted fresh urine almost every day. Keep in mind I do extremely intensive gardening so the increased biomass, and I have to water more prevents over fertilizing in theory. I have the healthiest,biggest tomato plants I've ever had or seen. I've heard that too much nitrogen while will make your plants green and vibrant will decrease tomato production. Has anyone actually experienced this? I also make sure there not only a living mulch growing around my plants but also I cut weeds and use them as mulch around plants, which should also absorb alot of excess nitrogen. A ton of blossoms and there starting to form tomatoes. A couple will drop but I understand that's extremely common for beef steak because the plant can only support so many tomato's. Evey single blossom on my grape has turned into a tomato, and is fertilized at same rate.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've never tried but have seen experiments done with diluted urine and it never works out well for the plants. It doesn't kill them but it doesn't help them. I would stick to regular compost, it's also a lot less cringe value when guests come over for supper and ask your garden secret for growing the veggies lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tomato fruit set is determined by NIGHTTIME LOW TEMPERATURES. Tomatoes set best with nighttime low temps between about 64F-69F. They can set fruit with nighttime lows of 60F and nightime highs of about 74F but at these temps fruit set is very iffy. The grape tomato can set fruit with nighttime lows of about 76F.
I have experienced nitrogen toxicity. The first thing to look for is super dark green leaves. The second thing to look for are deformed lumpy leaves. New growth fails to look healthy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes Urine is full of Nitrogen. Same as Miracle-Gro.

I tried Miracle-Gro last year. Plants looked good but not many Tomatoes. This year I used Happy Frog and they did good.

big rockpile

Ask a Question