Organic Garden Soils

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been trying to find decent organic garden soil. Bought miracle grow organics raised bed and inground from Costco and returned it. It is crap like most miracle grow products. I was thinking of trying this new Pennington Rejuvenate soil at Walmart it's 9 or 10 bucks for 1 cubic ft. If it's good I can deal with it being a little more expensive. Anyone have any experience with this or other Pennington products? All of the reviews for Pennington are fake so I can't tell if it's good or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks like the composition of Miracle Grow potting mix to me.

I have bought bags of topsoil from Lowes before and found it isn't top soil. Looked more like shredded pine bark and smelled to high heaven. Some are more like a mulch. Actually I couldnt find top soil in a bag no matter what the bag said. If you want a top soil go to landscaping place that sells rock and mulch and stuff or just buy compost and amend your own soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
While I don't have access to specific product reviews or personal experiences of users, I can provide some general insights about choosing organic garden soil.
When searching for organic garden soil, it's important to consider a few key factors:
  1. Ingredients: Look for soil products that clearly state their organic ingredients and avoid those with synthetic additives or chemicals. High-quality organic soils often include a mixture of compost, peat moss, vermiculite, perlite, and other organic matter.
  2. Quality and texture: The soil should have a light and crumbly texture, allowing for good drainage and root growth. Avoid soil that feels overly heavy, compacted, or contains large clumps.
  3. Nutrient content: Check if the soil has a balanced nutrient content, including essential elements like nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Some organic soils may also contain added beneficial microorganisms, such as mycorrhizal fungi, which can enhance plant growth.
  4. Certifications: Look for organic soil products that have certifications from reputable organizations, such as the USDA Organic label or OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) certification. These certifications ensure that the product meets specific organic standards.
Regarding Pennington Rejuvenate soil, as you mentioned, it can be challenging to determine the authenticity of reviews. However, if you're interested in trying it out, you could consider purchasing a small amount initially to see how it performs in your garden. Additionally, reaching out to local gardening communities, nurseries, or garden centers in your area might provide valuable insights or recommendations based on their experiences with Pennington products.
Ultimately, personal experiences can vary, and it's essential to find a soil product that suits your specific gardening needs and preferences. Experimenting with different brands and products may be necessary until you find the one that works best for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've used Miracle-Gro and plants did great just didn't produce. Too much Nitrogen.

Went to Happy Frog and it does great but cost.

Started using Sunshine 4 because it is local and it feels good. Thing is it really don't have anything in it so I have been adding a complete Organic Fertilizer to it. The only problem I've seen is getting use to watering. The soil holds water. I'm thinking this is not good. Then I was told to think, the soil is not over wet just damp because it is getting good drainage.

Pro Mix is basically the same.

big rockpile

Ask a Question