orchids

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am so happy I found this thread!! I was just about to post a new thread asking about my orchids! I cannot seem to keep them in bloom! (or alive for that matter....)
Thank you all so much for the advice!!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
my orchid is forming more leaves I am so excited because I thought it was dying! the shoot is dry and doesn't look like its going to be going anywhere but if there is a new leaf then that means it will still grow flowers?

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
which part is wilting? The flowers, leaves or both? The flowers don't last forever, they will die and fall off eventually.

I keep my orchids near my sink, they like the humidity, when not in flower, keep caring for it as normal. I give them a little bit of violet fertilizer in the spring and summer.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, since I am not the only "Orchid-newbie" in this thread, I'll just post my questions here! Two weeks ago, we were given an orchid. (We seem to be the house where old/unwanted houseplants go to be loved.) (Oh, and the silly woman! It bloomed three days after she gave it to us!)

I've done a little research online, but need some clarification.

The tag in the pot says that it is the variety "Little Lady." The plant is about a foot high, and it is in a 2.5" plastic pot. Research says most orchids prefer to be somewhat cramped in small pots, but to repot after blooming. I have to believe that it is too cramped in that little pot, and needs repotting. (I also want a slightly bigger pot so I can put rocks in the bottom, the poor thing keeps falling over.)

Research also says to use shredded tree bark, moss, vermiculite, perlite, or charcoal as the potting medium. (It does note not to use barbecue charcoal because of the chemicals.) Also that plastic pots retain moisture, and do not allow air flow around the roots. And that orchids require excellent drainage.

My questions: We have two big chunks of a tree a neighbor gave us for the fire pit. It got too cold too soon for us to burn all of it, and they sat in the yard all winter. Can I scrape the bark off, break it down a bit, and use it as some of the potting medium? I have an aquarium that uses charcoal in the filter, I assume it is safe to use that?

I really need some ideas for home-made potting medium! We live in a somewhat rural area, and I'd have to drive 50 miles round trip for potting mix. (Sadly, we killed a beautiful bromeliad, using potting soil.) Would a little bit of sand help or hurt? If I put it in a plastic pot, but drill some tiny air holes in the side, will that help or hurt?

Also, warm, tropical temperatures and high humidity - it's not getting that in my air-conditioned house. In Ohio, can I put it outside over the summer? Maybe in a pebble tray to give it extra humidity? (Although I can't see that being a problem in the summer!!)

I know that's a lot of questions, and I'm sorry.
It's such a pretty little thing, I don't want to kill it.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Well, since I am not the only "Orchid-newbie" in this thread, I'll just post my questions here! Two weeks ago, we were given an orchid. (We seem to be the house where old/unwanted houseplants go to be loved.) (Oh, and the silly woman! It bloomed three days after she gave it to us!)

I've done a little research online, but need some clarification.

The tag in the pot says that it is the variety "Little Lady." The plant is about a foot high, and it is in a 2.5" plastic pot. Research says most orchids prefer to be somewhat cramped in small pots, but to repot after blooming. I have to believe that it is too cramped in that little pot, and needs repotting. (I also want a slightly bigger pot so I can put rocks in the bottom, the poor thing keeps falling over.)

Research also says to use shredded tree bark, moss, vermiculite, perlite, or charcoal as the potting medium. (It does note not to use barbecue charcoal because of the chemicals.) Also that plastic pots retain moisture, and do not allow air flow around the roots. And that orchids require excellent drainage.

My questions: We have two big chunks of a tree a neighbor gave us for the fire pit. It got too cold too soon for us to burn all of it, and they sat in the yard all winter. Can I scrape the bark off, break it down a bit, and use it as some of the potting medium? I have an aquarium that uses charcoal in the filter, I assume it is safe to use that?

I really need some ideas for home-made potting medium! We live in a somewhat rural area, and I'd have to drive 50 miles round trip for potting mix. (Sadly, we killed a beautiful bromeliad, using potting soil.) Would a little bit of sand help or hurt? If I put it in a plastic pot, but drill some tiny air holes in the side, will that help or hurt?

Also, warm, tropical temperatures and high humidity - it's not getting that in my air-conditioned house. In Ohio, can I put it outside over the summer? Maybe in a pebble tray to give it extra humidity? (Although I can't see that being a problem in the summer!!)

I know that's a lot of questions, and I'm sorry.
It's such a pretty little thing, I don't want to kill it.

if the wood is not chemically treated in any way, I don't see why you couldn't use it. break it down into a variety of chip pieces and sizes...the idea is good air flow around the roots.. sphagnum moss and coconut husk can be used in the mix to help retain water. .... charcoal is debatable, some use it, some don't. It isn't essential, but if you think you have a drainage issue, it may be a good idea to use it. Yes, you can use aquarium charcoal which is usually activated charcoal. I will say that I would not prefer to pot an orchid in a plastic pot, try to find clay.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you, @NatalieW!! :)

I assumed I needed more than just bark chips, which is why I mentioned the charcoal. As far as the potting medium, I am literally making it up as I go along!! I do have one of those hanging planters with the coconut husk liners in the shed. Maybe I'll use a bit of it with the bark. :unsure:

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Thank you, @NatalieW!! :)

I assumed I needed more than just bark chips, which is why I mentioned the charcoal. As far as the potting medium, I am literally making it up as I go along!! I do have one of those hanging planters with the coconut husk liners in the shed. Maybe I'll use a bit of it with the bark. :unsure:
as long as it has stability to hold up the orchid, air flow and can retain some water, you're pretty good to go... keep it simple, light and natural.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
The best place for an orchid is the window. It should be facing south for optimal results and the orchid should not be exposed to direct sunlight. If the leaves are sun burnt they will get black or yellow.
Also excessive watering can lead to the orchid's death. The orchid should be watered every 7 to 9 days.
I followed these rules for my orchids and didn't have any issues with them.

Ask a Question