Phal orchids in water culture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.first time on here as Google just isn't cutting it at the moment,recently I have caught the orchid bug and after 1 year of getting my first Phal orchid it has lost its blooms shortly after,,now I have cut the flower spikes and have looked after this plant for a whole year...watering once every few days when bone dry and now have discovered that phals work in water...almost immediately the leaves have stiffened up and are not so soft and the plant has taken on a somewhat healthier look ...what I need to know from an orchid connoisseur is how do I encourage a flower spike..I have tried placing in a cold place at nights as read on some site somewhere but after months of this nothing has happened....please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong!Sorry for the essay....ps I might add that I have another Phal which I have kept in Westlands orchid mx and to be totally honest it's not doing better then the Phal I have in water..I just wanted to see which would be better and the evidence points to water for now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

My orchids are all in pots where the inner pot doesn't touch the bottom of the outer pot, and when I water I always make sure the bottom of the inner pot is left just touching the water. This goes against other advice, but it has always worked for me. To have happy orchids it's really important to find a spot they like - location is really important. Somewhere bright but not in direct sun. Sometimes you just have to be persistent!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You don't want to let you Phal dry out, they need to be a little on the damp side, The like like high humidity around 65% most of my orchids do well with a fine mist 3 or 4 times a day. You will find what works for you like most orchid growers do.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have never grown orchid. The reasons for not growing orchid are: the plant is too expensive, it is very difficult to grow.However, since a long time, I am brooding on the idea that I should get an orchid in any cost. The views expressed by the members on this thread are really helpful.I will remember the tips and when I have my first orchid, I will try to implement the tips.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Moth Orchids (Phalaenopsis) are epiphytic plants from wet tropical climates of southern and southeastern Asia, China, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia, New Guinea, and Queensland. One exceptional species (P. japonica) occurs in Japan and southern Korea.

Phalaenopsis do need regular irrigation and their potting media should not completely dry out. However they also need abundant air to their roots. The should be planted in a highly porous mix of fir bark, scoria, expanded shale, or something similar. They can also do well in whole sphagnum moss though irrigation should be somewhat reduced.

The phrase in the OP, "phals work in water", may be open to interpretation, but it also inspires chagrin.
Do not set, or leave a Phalaenopsis, or any epiphytic orchid soaking in water. It will most assuredly rot.

Ask a Question