orchids

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
are these indoor plants because mine has been in the kitchen for a while and now it is suddenly not doing too well there and the flowers seem to be wilting a lot. Can this plant be indoors or should it be an outdoor plant under shelter like they do in the botanical gardens. They are kept in a hothouse there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They are often kept indoors, so I don't think that is the cause of the problem. How often do you water it and where do you have it? Most orchids tend to prefer a warm bright spot that is away from direct sunlight.

Reaction score
My Auntie who is living in US had this hobby of taking care of orchids and she had all kinds of orchids that are blooming flowers most of the time. In fact last week she had posted in her Facebook account all her orchids are in bloom and a neighbor had bought all the flowers for the wedding of her daughter. Then my Auntie is the one who had made all the flower arrangement of the orchids. My Auntie's orchids are all kept indoor and outdoor. Those that are kept inside the house she all put it in a nice ceramic pots with beautiful designs. Even she had kept it indoor still they does not wither at once. I think she had her own ways on how to water and take care this kind of plants and to think that she is doing this for so many years already..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
They are kept in hothouses in botanical gardens because it is a protected, climate controlled environment. Orchids like heat and some humidity and have to be brought indoors in cold weather. If your orchid is wilting it is probably from lack of moisture. Don't use the ice cube method.

Reaction score
I agree with Chanel, my grandma used to grow orchids and they really like moisture in the environment, the moment they don't get it they start doing not so well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My orchid is doing great indoors. It likes being watered twice a week and fertilized once a month. I keep it on a windowsill, but it doesn't get direct sunlight there.
The humidity here is high.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep my orchid indoor in a pot, and only water it once a week. It has been giving flowers for the two years now since I have it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love orchids but they are hard to take care of. Find the warmest and most sunny spot in your house and keep the window shade up during the day so your orchid will get a lot of sunshine. They do love water as well, just make sure you don't over water it.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
They are often kept indoors, so I don't think that is the cause of the problem. How often do you water it and where do you have it? Most orchids tend to prefer a warm bright spot that is away from direct sunlight.
it was on the window sill in the kitchen and I put two ice blocks in it once a week. it has no been in direct sunlight but seems to be wilting.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
My Auntie who is living in US had this hobby of taking care of orchids and she had all kinds of orchids that are blooming flowers most of the time. In fact last week she had posted in her Facebook account all her orchids are in bloom and a neighbor had bought all the flowers for the wedding of her daughter. Then my Auntie is the one who had made all the flower arrangement of the orchids. My Auntie's orchids are all kept indoor and outdoor. Those that are kept inside the house she all put it in a nice ceramic pots with beautiful designs. Even she had kept it indoor still they does not wither at once. I think she had her own ways on how to water and take care this kind of plants and to think that she is doing this for so many years already..
oh that's nice thank you for sharing this, perhaps you could ask your aunty what she does to look after these orchids and it is so nice to have them at a wedding.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
They are kept in hothouses in botanical gardens because it is a protected, climate controlled environment. Orchids like heat and some humidity and have to be brought indoors in cold weather. If your orchid is wilting it is probably from lack of moisture. Don't use the ice cube method.
Oh I have been using the ice cube method! will try watering it only like the other plants as I really want to save them I love them so much

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thank you all for your feedback and help I really want to save my orchids and it is my favourite plant I don't want it to die now! I will try moving it somewhere else and also no more ice cube methods. thank you and I will let you know how it goes!

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
orchids are parasites which mean they grow on other plant. As long as the host is alive, orchid will remain alive. You can grow orchid indoor as well as outdoors. However, best place for orchids is away from direct sunlight. Orchids live cold temperature

Reaction score
Country
United States
Orchids can be very hard. They are indoor plants, since they are a tropical plant. Maybe it's getting too much sun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh I have been using the ice cube method! will try watering it only like the other plants as I really want to save them I love them so much

I usually just set mine out in the rain once or twice per month. They are all "toss" orchids I got at my old job that came back from hotels and offices after the blooms were spent. The healthiest ones are still alive after several months and one is actually about to rebloom! I'm very excited about the one that's put out a stem as I have been neglectful about feeding them.

Ask a Question