Orchids

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Becky I think mine is just a seedling and I'm really out of my depth. It seems to be healthy though I haven't fed it regularly, but I don't know what I should be doing for it. It spent the summer outdoors under shade net, and when the cold weather arrived I moved it into my greenhouse.

I've noticed a bit of a reddish color on the latest growth, but I don't know whether that is the start of flowering or whether that will still turn green. I have no idea what kind of orchid this is or what color the flowers are supposed to be.
IMG_0241-orchid.jpg
IMG_0242-orchid-close.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Gina it looks like a dendodrium I would now start feeding it with an Orchid growth feed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Gina it looks like a dendodrium I would now start feeding it with an Orchid growth feed.

Thanks. That's a big help. I've been looking at all the orchids I've seen in the shops and garden centers, but I haven't seen any with similar leaves, so I was baffled.

Do I just leave the aerial roots to do their own thing, or should I move it to a bigger pot when the weather warms up?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Gina just leave your aerial roots unless they look a bit wood and dried out you can tidy them up.

No dont move to bigger pot but you can give new fresh orchid bark take out of pot and tease out old bark and give fresh.

Hope this has helped you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks scotkat. I think I'll just leave it as is for now. I don't think it's been in that pot for terribly long and the bark still looks fairly fresh. I've never had an orchid before so I've got a lot to learn.

I wish it would flower already because I've got no idea what its flowers look like. It was given to me by a member of my bonsai club and looked very much the same when I got it, only with a few less leaves. I didn't even know what plant it was when he gave it to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Gina I had a wee look at my Cambria orchid it may even be one of these beauties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
scotkat, I never realized there was such a variety of types. It's really confusing to me. Maybe it will give some more clues when/if it flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yes so many Gina and when I was in Singapore in March I saw a lot more at the Botanical gardens and Gardens by the bay.

Ask a Question