Only a Couple of More Months

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Rust has definitely been an issue. The metal pipes rusted in plastic fittings almost immediately. Somehow they hold water, though I can't figure out how it gets in. The whole things leans in multiple directions... and now the cover is tearing. It's ready for the for the scrap heap.

This is what I currently have (and I did NOT get it at the price he did):

I haven't got time to watch the video, but from the preview the frame looks exactly like the one I had though the plastic cover was different. The water got into the plastic fittings on mine too, and they hid the rust for a while. I was lucky I noticed the problem before the whole thing collapsed. I never had a problem with mine leaning, maybe because it was in a more sheltered position.

I hope you manage to build something sturdier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I could not use pvc around here as we get a lot of ocean wind. At work, I saw our smoke tent get swept away, concrete anchors and all. The wind just thrashed the pvc piping that was holding it up. I would have to use metal posts here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I could not use pvc around here as we get a lot of ocean wind. At work, I saw our smoke tent get swept away, concrete anchors and all. The wind just thrashed the pvc piping that was holding it up. I would have to use metal posts here.

We get heavy winds also. It was so windy last week I expected everything to blow away. Thankfully, it was more sound than fury. In hurricane season the winds can be quite forceful as well. I used to have a 10 x 10 easy up popup tent that got destroyed in a storm at an art market a few years back. It wasn't tied down, but I'm not sure that would have helped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have that one too. I took it apart for the winter. We did have a nasty wind storm last summer and it held up but I suspect it is because I left the door flap up so that air could flow through rather than lift it.
I found it to be dandy for holding containers during the hot summer days and without the plastic.
They are sold at Big Lots for $69.99 and also some TSC stores.
I too cannot for the life of me figure out how water gets in the pipes. I may spray rust check in them before reassembling this spring.

Attachments

• 20140728_091802.jpg
    20140728_091802.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 335
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I started with plastic greenhouses, and I might hopefully be of some assistance.

What to get if you can, are four tall, hefty stakes.
Sink one well into the ground at each corner, about 8 inches from the cover, on the diagonal.
Tie the guy ropes to the stakes level with the eyes on the cover, tight, then anchor the line in the ground.
With the reinforced cover, I have had one withstand 70mph gusts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We can't live on our property at the moment because we have no well an septic there, but we decided that we will plant there anyway and just go and check on it every other day. We figured out that most of our crops will only need water every two days. We could be wrong about this, we have been reading the seed packets. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to water them?.
You say you don't have a well, how are you going to water them - do you have a catchment system? I see you're in Nevada, how much rain do you get? Here in Tennessee, I don't usually have to water much because we get enough rain. For us, if they are planted in the ground and we get rain once or twice a week, that's enough. It's only in July and August that we have to supplement nature and use a hose. Make sure that you put down a good layer of mulch, this will help in water retention, so you don't have to water as frequently. Also, they make "spikes" (I don't know what they're called) that you attach to 2 liter bottles, then stick in the ground next to the plant. These work well, in that they only water the plant and slowly release the water. This will keep you from wasting so much water. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We are working on trying to get a well, but we are also attempting to get a atmosphere water generator also. The water generator we intend to set up for watering the plants but have the well as a back up during lean times. It does not rain much here, about 3-4 inches is normal, but lately not even that.

Because of the poor soil here we are mostly using grow boxes and on the bottom of them we were thinking of lining them with rocks as well as on top of the soil. We are not certain what method we are going to use just yet. Thank you for the advice galmal. When we finally get it all together I will post pictures on the site so that you guys can see what we are doing. I like the "spike" suggestion especially. It would keep me from over or under watering the plants that way.

Ask a Question