One More Week - Yay!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yippee! It's almost that time! In just over a week we finally Spring forward again! Just thinking about longer hours of daylight gets me all happy. More day means more gardening hours, which is extra important now that I have a "regular" job. Not to mention, it's going to inspire all my plants that have been limping along in winter to get growing again.

Anyone else excited about the return of DST?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Spring forward in one week? That is really nice and time flies! Here, in Michigan, I don't consider spring until I see my tulips and hyacinths sneaking their heads out of the dirt, but you've gotten me all excited now :)

Reaction score
I can already feel the weather is changing, not so excited about the UV radiation or the scorching weather, but there are things I do like about spring :) Then summer... those things were gardening, but no gardening for me until the next year :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Spring forward in one week? That is really nice and time flies! Here, in Michigan, I don't consider spring until I see my tulips and hyacinths sneaking their heads out of the dirt, but you've gotten me all excited now :)

I have been eyeing the tulips in the garden center, but I have way too many other things I need to take care of. They have been selling like mad though, along with the daffodils, as everyone is anxious for some semblance of spring. I am anxious to see the end of days like today where we are expecting rain and temps in the mid 40s all day. Ugh!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can already feel the weather is changing, not so excited about the UV radiation or the scorching weather, but there are things I do like about spring :) Then summer... those things were gardening, but no gardening for me until the next year :(

I like when it doesn't get dark until 8 pm because then I can go out and do things and not have to worry about looking over my shoulder in the dark. This was especially important during the periods when I didn't have a car. I just feel better when there is more sun.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not till 29th of March here :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is right, March 8th in America is daylight savings time and I am so excited for spring forward as well! I was just talking to a couple of co workers and getting excited about it last night. It is almost time to open up the windows and let the fresh spring air fill the house!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if I like daylight savings. I am a morning person. The earlier sunrise is, the better in my books.

I have lots done before the neighbours have been up and scraped their teeth or whatever it is hillbillies do..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I like daylight savings. I am a morning person. The earlier sunrise is, the better in my books.

I have lots done before the neighbours have been up and scraped their teeth or whatever it is hillbillies do..

I don't know about where you are, but after March 8 there will only be a difference of about thirty minutes from the time the sun comes up now. Even so, the sun will "rise" earlier and earlier in the coming weeks so that in just over a month the sun will be coming up the same time it is now. Yet we will gain almost another two hours of daylight.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
That's great. I haven't experience winter, spring or autumn season.. only summer and rainy days. Though everyone I knew who experience four seasons don't like winter.. it's their least favorite season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I don't know about where you are, but after March 8 there will only be a difference of about thirty minutes from the time the sun comes up now. Even so, the sun will "rise" earlier and earlier in the coming weeks so that in just over a month the sun will be coming up the same time it is now. Yet we will gain almost another two hours of daylight.

I do understand that daylight saving only shifts the time of day on the clock we all live by, not the hours of sunlight. I have the data for the hours noted on my gardening calendar indicating each time the day lengthens by 15 minute increments and noting the sunrise/sunset times. I was just trying to point to the fact that daylight savings shifts the hours to having more evening hours before sunset.

I also must work to put food on the table and a roof over my head and it is far nicer for me as a morning person to get in most of my gardening before I start my day's commercial projects. I am fresh from a night's sleep. At night, I'm pooped and not wanting to work out there. Because I am self employed, I often end up working on weekends too so there is no "catch up" time to be had there.

We have such a short growing season compared to you that as soon as the ground thaws, wasting daylight is not wise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's great. I haven't experience winter, spring or autumn season.. only summer and rainy days. Though everyone I knew who experience four seasons don't like winter.. it's their least favorite season.

You're lucky in a way, but I prefer to experience the seasons. In fall you get drier air and gradually cooler temperatures. The leaves here don't really start to turn until late into the season, but it's gorgeous when it happens! In winter as the air gets more chilly, the sky is grayer, but the streets are quieter and there is a nice serenity about when you're out for a stroll.

Spring is when everything that was dormant wakes up and starts growing and blooming again... and even summer has is appeal before the oppressive heat and humidity drive you indoors. I think people need the seasons as much as the earth itself does.

Reaction score
I like when it doesn't get dark until 8 pm because then I can go out and do things and not have to worry about looking over my shoulder in the dark. This was especially important during the periods when I didn't have a car. I just feel better when there is more sun.

Oh yeah, I can totally relate to that feeling, specially over here. The day light is something that I'll always appreciate, if only it'd come without the scorching heat, ehehe! It's weird, but over here I have never seen getting dark at 8 :O It's funny how things vary from place to place (y)

Ask a Question