OK to thin or trim Asparagus plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 2 asparagus beds and as the summer rolls on, they get very bushy. The bushier they get, the more susceptible they seem to be to aphids. I was wondering if it would be OK to chop some of the growth back, top them, anything to reduce the volume. Then it would be easier to treat them to prevent aphid infestations.

How much can I cut back my asparagus this time of year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 2 asparagus beds and as the summer rolls on, they get very bushy. The bushier they get, the more susceptible they seem to be to aphids. I was wondering if it would be OK to chop some of the growth back, top them, anything to reduce the volume. Then it would be easier to treat them to prevent aphid infestations.

How much can I cut back my asparagus this time of year?
Trimming asparagus fronds is not a good thing to do as the more fronds you have the stronger the crown gets and the stronger the crown gets the more asparagus you will harvest next year. Aphids are easy to get rid of. Just spray the fronds with a totally organic and safe insecticide called spinosad. It sounds as if you are growing your asparagus properly. Leave the fronds alone as the more volume you have the better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. I feel like I've tried everything even sprays that include spinosad. I'll make a point to stick with a spinosad based treatment and reply back in the fall, which is when the infestation seems to be the worst.

How often do you apply to your crops?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. I feel like I've tried everything even sprays that include spinosad. I'll make a point to stick with a spinosad based treatment and reply back in the fall, which is when the infestation seems to be the worst.

How often do you apply to your crops?
Whenever the pest appears. There is a fairly new product out now that is a lot better than just spinosad. It is called Spinosad Soap.

I don't know if it is where you are located or what, but I rarely ever have any insects on my vegetables. I get caterpillars once in awhile and maybe stink bugs but hardly ever do I get aphids. I contribute this to using only organic fertilizers and soil amendments. It seems to make the plants more repellant to insects.

In the fall aren't your asparagus fronds beginning to turn brown? As soon as they do you can mow them down and put them in your compost pile. If aphids are more prevalent in the fall I would just mow the entire bed slightly earlier. The asparagus will soon be dormant anyway and the crowns have already recieved 99% of the energy the fronds provide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are my 2 beds. Once they get this bushy, I really have to keep an eye on them.
I installed PVC frames to keep the from falling all over the place. Shaded swiss chard on the right.

Attachments

• ferned-asparagus.jpg
    ferned-asparagus.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 129
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here are my 2 beds. Once they get this bushy, I really have to keep an eye on them.
I installed PVC frames to keep the from falling all over the place. Shaded swiss chard on the right.
Nice beds. Looks like you will have to start thinking about expanding your beds too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The aphids get into everything, artichokes, asparagus, apricot & apple trees and my hedge Oleanders. It's a battle all Summer long. 7 years ago, I was a bad asparagus dad and the rascals killed them down to the root and I had to start over. I keep an eagle eye on them now.

As far as expanding the beds, I still have a lot of empty surface space in what I've got. Since I have mostly male but some female plants, I do get wild ones popping up in the yard. I think the birds eat the seeds then deposit them when they do their business. I try to locate then replant these "wild" ones back in the bed in any empty space.

This spinosad soap you mentioned, does that come in a concentrate I can put in my 1 gallon pump sprayer? I've heard some soaps, you need to wash/hose off after applying. DO I leave this "soap" on?

is this the spinosad soap you're referring to?

- mike

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The aphids get into everything, artichokes, asparagus, apricot & apple trees and my hedge Oleanders. It's a battle all Summer long. 7 years ago, I was a bad asparagus dad and the rascals killed them down to the root and I had to start over. I keep an eagle eye on them now.

As far as expanding the beds, I still have a lot of empty surface space in what I've got. Since I have mostly male but some female plants, I do get wild ones popping up in the yard. I think the birds eat the seeds then deposit them when they do their business. I try to locate then replant these "wild" ones back in the bed in any empty space.

This spinosad soap you mentioned, does that come in a concentrate I can put in my 1 gallon pump sprayer? I've heard some soaps, you need to wash/hose off after applying. DO I leave this "soap" on?

is this the spinosad soap you're referring to?

- mike
Yes, that's the stuff.

Ask a Question