Novice rotavating/tilling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Colin I understand you are a considered typist and an experienced soul, but I must point out one small detail that you got wrong in your previous post. It goes along the lines of learning, of which you are obviously a great fan, but you referred to yourself as ignorant in a temporary sense, and I would urge you to use your rototiller to dig up another word. Here in the Southeastern United States the word you used means two things, one of course being that a awareness does not exist, but the second component which is necessary to finish the definition is that a being also does not care to know, and obviously you would not be that person.

edit to say after reading my own post I could say you could not be ignorant if you tried.

Oh I kill me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If anyone is willing to try this, PLEASE post a video! (y) :LOL:

Troy Bilt Horse became famous because it had handlebars that would rotate sideways where one walks alongside the machine as it works. I am rebuilding one, and when it digs dirt, I will make that effort you ask for and a few other efforts involving the other abilities of that particular machine I rebuild. Personally, I hope for a Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang result, a little magic, but reality is an older complex machine in action.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Silentrunning; I reach a point of frustration when nothing in this world is going to prevent me doing what I want to do; miserable; cold; wet and dark weather slow me down and even stop me at times but then I think why am I so bothered about a spot of inclement weather so I break out and get stuck in. The cold I can ignore to a point by wrapping up but lashing rain and hail aren't as easy to ignore especially whilst trying to stand on such a steep slope which quickly becomes dangerous. Today is a normal day in fact just like summer; Bron and I have just visited stores in a blizzard. I sympathize with you Silentrunning in that we two are finding it difficult to do anything in our gardens.

Many thanks for your kind comments DirtMechanic. Whenever I try something totally new I always regard myself as ignorant until I gain a bit of knowledge and experience and so it is with rotavating. I'm very much a novice at rotavating; yes I understand fully the whole machine and its intended function but I need practice in running the rotavator in anger; the rotavator controls are few and a novice will quickly fill a rotavator with oil and fuel and even start the engine but then it becomes a steep learning curve in actually using the rotavator; for my first attempt though I'm well pleased with my progress because just 30 minutes using the rotavator answered lots of questions.

These rotavators don't like roots at all and sticky wet soil fouls them rendering them dangerous to use especially on a sloping site like ours; they are very top heavy and highly cumbersome but just a little practice sorts out what can and can't be accomplished. I dream of getting into the garden without getting a soaking but then I can dream on.

I'm interested DirtMechanic in that you are rebuilding a rotavator which is something I'm up to speed with having rebuilt many industrial machines myself over the last 55 years; posting your "work in progress" would be informative and useful because it's one thing to use a machine but something totally different to fully understand the construction of a machine.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have found two major problems seem to be the curse of most rototillers. For front tine tillers it is the transmission. Most of them have a casting for the housing and it is quite easy to break if you hit a root or a rock and the motor continues while the tines stop. On some tillers this is not an easy fix and can be costly as well. The second problem is the governor. Usually this is just a matter of adjustment but that can be tricky. When the governor is out of adjustment you have almost no chance of getting your engine to work properly. On two cycle engines it can be fatal.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am rebuilding one, and when it digs dirt, I will make that effort you ask for

I'm interested DirtMechanic in that you are rebuilding a rotavator which is something I'm up to speed with having rebuilt many industrial machines myself over the last 55 years; posting your "work in progress" would be informative and useful because it's one thing to use a machine but something totally different to fully understand the construction of a machine.

DirtMechanic, I would also like to see the work in progress! (y) :)

:D I'm also looking forward to that video! Just be careful, ok? Maybe let the tea cool down a bit, just in case! ;)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Translation? :confused:

If you are going to enjoy a cup of tea while running the tiller, it might jog a bit. I don't want you to burn yourself. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you. I will consider adding a beverage holder to the tiller. Due to the high ambient temperatures here most drinks are chilled cans or even iced tea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
20180116_115716.jpg
20180116_115751.jpg

The machine is a Troy-Bilt Horse 3, commonly referred to as the PTO model. if you notice the attachement prior to the tines and the engagement switch. Advertised for 200 usd with "carburator issues" I suckered in and bought it. The motor pictured is a chinese duplicate of the Honda 160, which sold for 99.00 usd. It will get more expensive from here.

One reality is that the PTO model had a log splitter attachment. In other words, it can run a hydraulic pump. I have not come to understand the details, save that I most assuredly need a log splitter at my house. Or perhaps, if the pump is not sufficient for a heavy duty, I can use it to spin a saw blade of a sawmill size, which will serve my same purposes. The first impression might be the round blade, but I am referring to the band belt type saw where front to back thickness is 1.25 inches or thicker. (4cm)

Last edited:

Ask a Question