Novice rotavating/tilling.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

WOW; 13 January 2018 at 9:30am with the temperature at a scorching 3C with Gale adding a nice chill factor I dared to venture into the garden wrapped up like an Eskimo with heavy tornado proof coat; hat and gloves; I was ready for anything but where's Blackie who never misses an opportunity to give me a good soaking; it's the usual black hole as well.

Bron generously bought me a lovely Hyundai 4hp petrol rotavator for Christmas and I just became fed up waiting for a miracle of dry warm weather to arrive after all it never arrived all during 2017. The rotavator was dry so needed oil and petrol. Yesterday I visited our local car accessory store and bought a litre of good quality engine oil; I already had petrol. First job was to fill with oil; this would be fun because instructions state the rotavator must be standing level; I can't even place a mug of tea level in our steeply sloping garden; I pulled the rotavator out of the hut and propped it roughly level then in the hut I opened the oil container; I placed the oil container on the shelf in the hut whilst I removed the oil filler cap/dipstick and placed a new plastic funnel in the opening; as I say it was a black hole and even darker in the hut; as I picked up the oil container I hadn't realized in the darkness that I had gripped the container a bit too tightly so now oil was running down the container side all over my hand.

A trip into the workshop to collect clean rags and latex gloves; after a wipe around I was back in business and finally the oil was added; filling with petrol was a lot easier. Now for some exercise; I installed a very steep path from the hut into the lower garden avoiding using steps so I dragged the rotavator up the path into the garden; took a deep breath and with the rotavator in tow reached the top of the garden feeling entirely out of breath and also by now I was hot.

I put on my ear defenders and it only took three pulls to get the rotavator to burst into life for the very first time; I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was. What a truly ungainly machine this is wanting to fall over all the time; I had taken along a short length of 4" x 4" timber to support the rotavator on and like a fool I dropped this timber onto the ground where it immediately disappeared at speed down the garden; I then lifted the transporting front wheel into it's high position this then allowed the rotavator to sit on its tines. This front wheel at first wouldn't lift until I realized I had to pull against the retaining spring tension then it lifted without further problem.

With the engine running at full speed I then engaged the clutch with a control that felt awkward and clumsy but then all this was new to me; the clutch lever has a small spring clip that needs lifting and resting on the handlebar then the clutch lever can be used. I must confess I didn't expect much by way of performance given how gently and quietly the engine was running but I was amazed as soon as the clutch engaged; the rotavator wanted to run across the top of the garden so it's a good job I had a secure hold of it; the tines quickly buried themselves deeply into the soil I had recently dug over and I made the first pass finding it difficult to control the rotavator but with the first pass made I was most impressed.

I had already dug over to a spades depth removing stones; stumps; roots and other debris so this top area was very soft; I rotavated about half the area then knocked off for a mug of tea and a rest. Back on the job though I was now into the area where it had been lawn and I had dug over large sods; now I was in deep trouble as the rotavator jumped and bounced around wanting to head to the valley bottom; the rotavator simply became too dangerous to use and now I was on a steeper section; I could no longer control the rotavator so had to admit defeat.

This rotavator is brilliant; it's the garden at fault; the main problem was Blackie; after the last year of rain I think it fair to describe the soil as wet; it was not only wet it was very clingy indeed and had turned the tines into a very heavy drum that wasn't tilling it was churning the sods instead. The pictures below show the progress I made and why I could no longer carry on; the soil is too sodden so Blackie still torments me.

I'm completely new to rotavating/tilling using a machine so this has been a very steep learning curve but in spite of the difficulties I've made a lot of progress; I now know the new rotavator works and works well; I also know not to try to rotavate wet soil.

Bringing the rotavator down the garden was easier and near the hut I set about clearing the sticky mess from the tines using a wood stick this being an unpleasant job but no way was I going to put the rotavator away with wet soil and roots attached to it.

I completely forgot how cold it was and the bitterly cold breeze I no longer felt so on the whole I've enjoyed myself this morning and I don't regret having a go; I'm now 70 and am still stupid enough to try anything; I have a friend in his mid fifties who tells me he wants to quit his job where he works in a warehouse saying he has seen so many die at his age; mid fifties and worried about dying? I'm 70 and still grafting; when I die I die but I'll not worry about it; the session this morning was hard graft with quite a bit of frustration but better than sitting on my backside worrying about dying?

I tried to keep away from the laurels in order to avoid hitting roots hence the curved run. What fun I enjoy. (y):):):)

Thanks to my lovely Bron for buying me this toy to play with.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00180.JPG
DSC00181.JPG
DSC00182.JPG
DSC00183.JPG
DSC00184.JPG
DSC00185.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice work Colin. Through trial and error you will get the hang of using the tiller without beating yourself up in the process. The best helper you have is the rod at the rear that sticks down into the soil. Make that do the work of holding the tiller back against the pull of the tines. I don't like the way that rod is bent back on yours. It looks as if it would raise the rear of the tiller up. Could you turn the rod over so it is straight going into the ground? My tiller is a monster and I let the rear rod hold the tiller until it has buried the tines. Then I lift the rear of the tiller slightly which lets the tines pull it forward. Be careful because tillers are top heavy and not on their best behavior on hillsides.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks everyone for your replies which are most appreciated.

I'm sure my tiller should break up the soil as shown in your excellent picture Moonshadows but as can be seen my soil is soaking wet; clinging and full of many small diameter roots; I think it's these roots more than anything that are binding the soil to the tines; I removed all the thicker roots whilst digging but there are thousands of these smaller roots; obviously soaking wet soil adds to the problem.

Thanks Silentrunning for your very informative and highly useful reply; as I've stated this is the very first time I've used a tiller so am on a steep learning curve.In reply to your question regarding the angle of the depth rod please see here;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyundai-HYT140-4-Stroke-Petrol-Cultivator/dp/B00UZB0JE6

I've got the rod as per the manufacturer's instructions in fact it's the only way at the moment this rod can be installed due to the indents which locate with the spring clip; being a mechanical engineer it wouldn't be a problem for me to file new indents in the rod on the opposite side thereby making the rod angle forward; I could easily make a new straight rod from round steel bar stock I have? I confess I didn't understand the purpose of the rod hence I took a beating on my arms in trying to control the tiller but as you rightly say I'll get the hang of using it. I find the rod simply sinks into the freshly tilled soil but next time armed with your advice I'll understand much better?

Good question DirtMechanic; the digging depth I assume is adjusted by the height of the rod which has three indents; I have it set on the middle indent but I need to practice more and now I've a better understanding of how to use the tiller thanks to Silentrunning's advice. Today certainly wasn't the best day to try this tiller out for the first time but I wonder if I'll live long enough to ever see our gardens dry; 3C and a bitter wind didn't help but I'm stubborn enough to give it a try; Silentrunning is also bang on when he states these tillers are top heavy; it's the most unbalanced machine I've ever used in the last 55 years in fact if I let go it wants to fall over and what a challenge using it on a sloping garden; I'm pleased though with the result today it being my first attempt. Tomorrow is forecast even colder.

There's nothing at all wrong with the tiller I just need to learn how to correctly use it; the manual gives setting up instructions with the usual safety warnings but little else so it's trial and error; I'm used to machinery though so I'm not in any way intimidated by using it and I found getting it to work was very easy.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Colin, on my tiller there is a large bar instead of a rod. After being dragged around the garden for a while I drilled another hole in it so I could lower it by 3 inches. That placed the bar deeper in the ground and acted as a brake when I pushed down on the back. When I want to move forward I just lift up a little and away we go. After you get the ground broken up you will probably be able to enjoy spot of tea while tilling. Until then, think of using your new machine as a way to build up muscles.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Silentrunning; I can drop the rod another notch but I think it might even be long enough to accept another notch filed into it but I'll have a look then decide; the spring clip locating the rod is a right pain to insert so another little job to look at. I could do to install a ski lift to the top of the garden because I'm a ten stone weakling; dragging petrol machinery up the garden gives me a top class workout; I'll never need to visit a gym.

Bron and I have just watched "Battleship" now what an idea it would be to have a large force field over our property then I could say goodbye to Blackie and Gale allowing our gardens to dry out a bit. It must be three months since I started to buy plants and since planting them in the garden I still haven't needed to water them. I find it strange that we have endless water pouring all over our property from the sky but yet we pay to have water pumped through our taps.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Colin, I think if you set a 2x4 lumber under the tines and set every wheel and other arcane depth device and handle angle such that it suited you, it might not be in your doctors favor and could even impoverish your chiropractic bone bender. A depth setting is not a goal, it is an antivibration consideration. I also notice outboard discs used on a number of UK machines, but this machine is of an Asiatic design. Feel free to attach bent bars and wider and larger wheels. I have the idea that bending the rear device and even attaching a hiller device would make that machine devine. Until then, do try to not till more than 2 inches at a pass, because so many persons that dig that deep do not allow sharp blades to do a proper chopping of roots and what have you to consider. As the soil becomes soft as a marshmellow, the depth gauges sink in, and a 2 inch tiller depth setting will be tilling 6 or 8 inches deep in composted light airy soils.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've used both large tillers with depth settings and small tillers like the one Colin has here. I know what you guys are referring to about depth setting. With these little ones, there really is no depth setting; you just keep going back and forth until you reach the depth you want.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am learning quite a bit from this thread! (y) Colin, I'm glad you are enjoying your new toy, and I'm sure you'll have it tuned to your specifications soon enough. :)

After you get the ground broken up you will probably be able to enjoy spot of tea while tilling.

If anyone is willing to try this, PLEASE post a video! (y) :LOL:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks DirtMechanic for your useful and informative suggestions; I'm a mechanical engineer and although I'm very new to rotavating this being my first attempt once I get the hang of using it I can then easily modify the rotavator to suit me. The rod on my rotavator I think is supposed to act more as a brake thgan a depth gauge because it being a rod it simply sinks into the ground.

Thanks Licenter for taking the trouble to add the Honda video; the Honda has better features than my Hyundai but I would think the Honda costs a lot more; my Hyundai is a very welcome Christmas present from my lovely wife Bron and I think with a few modifications I can set this Hyundai up to suit me; I dislike the clutch lever it being located to the top of the handlebar also the single rod is extremely primitive; I'm not knocking it because Hyundai must think this is the best way of setting the controls and at the moment I'm ignorant but not for long assuming I can ever get into the garden to do anything other than fishing given the endless rainfall.

I fully agree with your comments MoonShadows; I'm convinced the rod is simply supposed to be a crude brake and not a depth setting at all because it simply sinks straight into the freshly rotavated soil; I can't play with this rotavator because I'm not born with gills or fins which I really do need given this dire climate. There is a single small diameter front wheel used for wheeling the rotavator around and in use this wheel is hinged clear of the ground hence in use the tines go as deep as the soil allows with little control at all; my first thought is to add either a pair of wider larger diameter wheels or even a full width drum then I could use this as a fulcrum allowing depth control; I'm just so annoyed and frustrated with this constant rain which has let up little for over a full year.

Thanks MaryMary; yes I love all my toys and I'm keen to play with this rotavator; Bron and I haven't taken an holiday away from home for the last forty years but I'm considering taking Bron and this rotavator for a months holiday this year into the middle of the Sahara desert; the only thing stopping me is that I know it would be the wettest month in history because Blackie would surely accompany us.

I became so fed up of living in this wet dreary black hole called Yorkshire yesterday afternoon I put my Eskimo kit on at 3 o'clock; collected my spade and rake and went up the mountain where I set about chopping the turned over sods to severe the roots rather like a primitive shredder thinking shorter roots won't tend to strangle the rotavator tines; Gale was adding her usual chill factor but with a temperature of 3C I don't think Gale made much difference; at 4 o'clock I had to quit because it was too dark to continue; I couldn't do any raking. Yesterday morning my computer refused to connect to the Internet causing lots of frustration; The Virgin Media Cable guy left us at 6 o'clock tonight having replaced the router so after two Internet free days I'm up and running again; it's poured with rain all day today; the big key in my back is wound up to maximum.

Thanks everyone for your replies which I truly appreciate; I'd now go and shoot myself but with my bad luck I'd miss.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question