notching a fiddle leaf fig

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hello, I have a fiddle leaf fig that's around 6 feet tall. It's dropped all the leaves on its trunk. Leaves are only on the top 2 feet, on the branches. Is it possible to make a notch on the bare trunk to encourage new stem growth? Or does the notch have to be in between leaves. All the videos I've watched, the notching was done in between leaves...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
check out Utube
Lanky, Lopsided, or Leaning: How to Cut Back One Overgrown Fiddle Stalk to Produce a Bushier Canopy

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm actually okay with the height and top already... but I feel it lacks branches towards the bottom. Will notching be able to grow new branches on the trunk? even if not notched in between leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never notched a plant, but I have pruned a lot of plants, the the best way to reproduce limbs is dead-heading to distribute Auxins.
Auxins are a powerful growth hormone produced naturally by plants. They are found in "shoot and root tips" and promote cell division, stem and root growth. They can also drastically affect plant orientation by promoting cell division to one side of the plant in response to sunlight and gravity.
You could try a notch and use some rooting growth hormones that stimulate cell elongation and cause new plant limbs to grow. There are four different horticulture hormones. My favorite one I've used is Garden Safe 2-oz Root Stimulator and had super results. The active ingredient is Indole-3-butyric acid, the others are,
Gibberellins.
Cytokinins.
Ethylene.
Abscisic acid.
How I make my rubber fig branch out is to take the red tip off. and that starts the lower branches growing below. That's the easiest way and I hope that helps. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 174

Ask a Question