Help for my fiddle leaf plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I just a got a fiddle leaf fig last 08/09 from a store. This is my first fiddle leaf plant. I repotted it on that same day without disturbing the root ball and just adding a fresh potting mix. It was doing well at first and I made sure to let it dry before watering. After a week, I noticed brown spots on the upper leaves and as day goes by, even the lower leaves now have brown spots. It sprouted a new leaf and to my surprise, it also has brown spots on it. I did some reading and came across this bacterial infection topic which I think closely match the case of my fiddle leaf. One owner repotted the plant making sure he cleaned all the roots until there is no more soil left. Just this morning I did it with my plant hoping it will address the issue. But as I read and watch more about fiddle leaf videos, now I’m so worried I did more damage than good to my plant. I join this forum hoping someone can shed more light on the right way of taking care of this beautiful plant. Thank you in advance!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 146
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
1. Ficus hate to be moved or have a change of environment.
2. Bare rooting a plant when it is stressed is always a bad idea.
3. Ficus do like to have their leaves cleaned occasionally.

All you can do now is clean the leaves and hope for the best. Put it in a bright place indoors but not in direct sunlight. Even if all the leaves fall off, leave the tree alone. Don’t overwater. Even though Ficus is a fussy plant it is hard to actually kill one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Ficus hate to be moved or have a change of environment.
2. Bare rooting a plant when it is stressed is always a bad idea.
3. Ficus do like to have their leaves cleaned occasionally.

All you can do now is clean the leaves and hope for the best. Put it in a bright place indoors but not in direct sunlight. Even if all the leaves fall off, leave the tree alone. Don’t overwater. Even though Ficus is a fussy plant it is hard to actually kill one.
Thank you for the reply. I’ll take note of these things. Now, I’m more sad than ever, I hope my ficus will survive. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You are welcome. A couple more things to consider- this plant is poisonous to pets. If a leaf drops dispose of it immediately. The white sap can be very irritating to some people’s skin. This tree will do great outside during the heat of the summer in the shade. Never let the plant get colder than 55 degrees F.

Ask a Question