JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
rather than have to trawl through over 100 images all at once - my preference would be to see them broken up into smaller numbers - mainly because its more enjoyable that way - particularly as with a lesser number you tend to remember which plants really stood out the most for you

That is very true! As someone who enjoys nature photography, I take 100s and 100s of photos every month. I used to upload them all for people to see on social media or other, and noticed I was getting very few responses. I decided to stop sharing everything and instead just share my favorites or the ones I feel were the best. Since then, I've seen a lot more positive feedback now. I guess it falls under "quality, not quantity".

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I shall just not bother posting any of them at all then!

Please carry on posting them OB :)

Just a suggestion - how about uploading a selection and put a link to the hosted album underneath. That way if the album gets moved or deleted we'll still have the pictures on here instead of broken links.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I beg to differ with the statement that "Gardening is about pictures. Everybody has a camera today and there is no reason why every post should not have in focus explanatory photos."
Gardening is about plants, and the joy (and sometimes frustration) they bring to gardeners. Gardening is about growing something, making soil better, and being observant about changes in temperature, sunlight, and rain.
Every post doesn't lend itself to photos, and "everybody" doesn't have a digital camera with download capabilities. Many times a photo is helpful in identifying a plant or disease or bug, but some topics are just discussions with words, not pictures. There is room on this website for both, and I hope we keep both photos, and interesting discussions sans pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Years ago I used to take pictures, take the film to the store and days later get back a bunch of crummy photos.
Then I bought a polaroid and got crummy pictures developed on the spot.
Now I get lots of "free" crummy pictures with my digital...doesn't cost me anything to delete them and most sure weren't worth sharing.
When I get one worth sharing, I do so, by uploading here.

I love seeing pictures posted in the threads here. Some of the scenery (e.g. Zigs' stretching his legs) and the plants and flowers, beautiful!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, are we all agreed that a few pics are a good thing then? :)

And that no one is gonna post any links to off site stuff unless its relevant or extremely amusing :)

Blogs will be put into members signature links if needed.

Now come on good people, lets not upset anyone else with negative comments, we know it's the quiet time for gardening but we're coming into the new season :)

Closing this thread and wishing you all a good 2015 season :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question