Not going to follow links to blogs!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
This may sound harsh and you can all pile on and berate me for this but I refuse to follow links to blogs or to have my time swallowed up by regurgitated blogs.

I will follow links to supplier sites and other information that simply can't be shared without doing so BUT if the poster doesn't even take the time to explain what is unique about the information or that it is something new, I will not go there.

I appreciate all of the helpfulness of nearly everyone here but sometimes I just feel totally frustrated calling up posts to find out it is only a link,

Sorry to rant but I also wanted to let those blog regurgiators know that I am adding them to my ignore list. Enough!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if you feel this way Lori.

I also like to share my blogs as well as my photos with everone.

If I am not ment to post mŷ blogs.

Can the admin please tell me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I see no problem giving oneself an atta-boy by supplying his or her links to what ever. If it caught my interest I will click on it; if not, I simply don't click. Now if you had me running to the store for a gallon of milk, and come home to find an almost full one in the fridge, I might get a little ticked. :geek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thankyou Licenter it did upset me what loricanada said.

Whether i come back not sure.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never click links to blogs, but I have no problem with people posting them. I'm sure some people out there benefit from it, but I just think its funny to be on a forum where the purpose is for information to be typed in and posted, but instead I'd have to click a link to another site to see it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I believe CanadianLori was talking about people who only seem to post links to other sites or blogs, and very often. I get frustrated sometimes, too. I click on a thread that seems interesting to find out that if I want to know what it's all about, I have to click again. People with carpal tunnel syndrome don't like clicking a lot, and like JB mentioned, if we're on a gardening forum the information and pictures should be posted here. At least most of the information, and then you can add a link for more information if it's necessary :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Before this thread gets out of hand .

I want to clarify why I share mŷ blogs.

As most of you know i have a passion for my garden and flora and camera that simes i have taken many photos and easeir to share my blog instead of a lot of photos as it takes a long time to resize and upload photos.

I have mailed admin and asked them to remove my blogs .

So can this thread now close please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes it is the multiple repeat offenders I have a problem with.

I like to think I'm getting information first hand from my forum friends and when possible I try to supply suggestions from hands on experience, booboos and successes alike!

Reaction score
Yes it is the multiple repeat offenders I have a problem with.

It is for me too and although I think you are all very probably aware of my thoughts on this - as it was something that I too brought some months ago - I have to say that I'm getting really frustrated with the abundance of links we have to sift through each time we visit - not just those self promotion blog links but also those links to pinterest and other gardening websites - as to me answering a question or submitting an idea by providing a link to someone's blog site or another gardening forum is not only discourteous to the person who has asked the question but to the forum community too - especially when there are plenty of members on this forum who I know are very capable of providing all kinds of gardening information.

Maybe I'm wrong on this one - but surely the whole purpose of belonging to a gardening forum is to supply the answers amongst ourselves - particularly as it seems only logical to me that if you belong to a forum and are part of the community - its surely only natural that you would want to support it - rather than be promoting other sites or getting free advertising for a blog sites.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
In the coming days we're going to have a new guidelines page which will have a few changes with regards to linking and so on - I'm going to draft it up tomorrow I hope, then post a little more about it later in the week. Now that we're grown I think it's probably long-overdue that we have a guidelines page. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I understand to some extent the frustration felt when instead of answering a question, someone just puts in a link to another forum, BUT I have, for example, a series of images on Photobucket taken at a plant show the other day. Now I know folks on here like to see well grown fairly unusual plants, but how does one post over 100 images? Surely it is easier for all concerned if I post a link to a Slideshow on PB? Not sure!

Reaction score
I understand to some extent the frustration felt when instead of answering a question, someone just puts in a link to another forum, BUT I have, for example, a series of images on Photobucket taken at a plant show the other day. Now I know folks on here like to see well grown fairly unusual plants, but how does one post over 100 images? Surely it is easier for all concerned if I post a link to a Slideshow on PB? Not sure!

I hear you and although these are only my thoughts on this - as I too love to see pictures of unusual plants - rather than have to trawl through over 100 images all at once - my preference would be to see them broken up into smaller numbers - mainly because its more enjoyable that way - particularly as with a lesser number you tend to remember which plants really stood out the most for you - which is especially important if you are planning on trying to search one out to go in your garden.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

All the bucket systems are a misery, but that is all people can fathom. I used all the systems over the years and found them wanting so I devised my own system using existing readily available software.

The system is simply putting pictures on an external site. The sites are often supplied by the service provider or there are many available for about seven dollars a month with unlimited capacity. This method does not clog up the forum server and access is simply a URL. I have my own URL shortening system to keep the post neat and clean.

To upload to the site there is often the necessary software in the browser or stand alone software.

There is software for making the HTML pages with annotating capabilities.

From camera to the forum on say 20 pictures the time it takes is about 15 minutes.
Example. http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YIZEK 18 December2011 Elderberry(Sambucus canadensis) This is the short URL

Blogs are another matter. Most blogs are a disaster in layout and information. Mixing pictures with text is slow and mostly uninteresting and very time consuming to produce.

Gardening is about pictures. Everybody has a camera today and there is no reason why every post should not have in focus explanatory photos.The reason why they are not used is because people do not or will not learn a method of posting to the various forums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I hear you and although these are only my thoughts on this - as I too love to see pictures of unusual plants - rather than have to trawl through over 100 images all at once - my preference would be to see them broken up into smaller numbers - mainly because its more enjoyable that way - particularly as with a lesser number you tend to remember which plants really stood out the most for you - which is especially important if you are planning on trying to search one out to go in your garden.
I personally won't sit through over 100 pictures. I take lots of pictures, but I always pick the best for posting, because I wouldn't want anyone to have to look at so many pictures that I posted. If I take pictures that are worth sharing, I don't mind going through the uploading process :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question