Non gardener with a vexing gardening problem (shotgun fungus)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Folks,

I’m newish to gardening and new to this forum. I hope you can help me.

A few years ago, I replaced a lot of lawn in my smallish front and back yards with gardens with a variety. We initially mulched the new beds and added another mulch layer the following spring. Late last summer, I decided to wash and wax my car and on closer inspection I noticed black spots, about 1/8 inch in diameter, all over the mulch facing side of my car. On further inspection I saw the black spots all over our concrete sidewalk, our patio furniture in the back, the side of my house- everywhere!

A little research allowed me to conclude the the black spots are a form of shotgun fungus. (Ugh).

My preliminary research says there is no hope and I should move to a condo downtown. Seriously though, I’m looking for some help/answers/solution to my problem. Is there something I can spray that’ll kill the fungus? Maybe cover the existing mulch with a different kind? I recall using licorice root mulch in my at the time much smaller gardens but that was when I had maybe 1/3 the garden space. What else? Dig up all the old much and replace entirely? Wood chips? Mushroom compost to neutralize?

Thanks for reading. Please help. I welcome any and all replies.

Greg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Covering it with any of the materials you mention will probably work just fine. Post some pictures of the patches and we might be able to give more detailed answers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Boric acid. Yeah thats right roach powder. exceptionally expensive and rare. Learn to boil it into water because it balks at disolution in the context of room temps. Add sugar even. Invite some insects whilst you struggle with fungi that shoot spores at you. Its loads of gardening fun! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What removes shotgun fungus?

Bleach, Simple Green, toothpaste and alcohol-based mouthwash have been known to work with various rates of success, and can be tried first before attacking the spots with a pressure washer. For removing spores off of cars oil, vinegar, car wax and tree sap remover have all worked for people that tested them.

My personal faves for yard furniture, walls of the house, other large areas: Simple Green, or pressure washing.

For cars: Vinegar, tree sap remover.

For your infested mulch: Personally I raked mine into my backyard for use in a compost pile, but I have read you can also cover it with a layer of mushroom compost, which is 40 percent as thick as the layer of infested mulch.

Ask a Question