Non Gardener with large garden. Help please

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Introduce myself and apologise for the length of my first post. I'm a 73 year old guy and have been negligent with my garden since I lost my wife 4 years ago. Yvette was the gardener and I her labourer, having never been interested in gardening.

My main garden is 70' by 50', mostly lawn and shrubs. Apart from patchy grass this is not a major problem.

I have a sloping rockery measuring 70' by 11'. As we were overlooked, we planted conifers some years ago along the back, which had reached about 40' high. I have chopped them down as it wasn't fair on my neighbours. The rockery has a few shrubs but is in a sorry state.

I also have a drive, 170' long with 3' borders both sides. These were in a sorry state with 20 year old shrubs that were passed their sell by date, all interwoven so I have cut them down and going to pull the roots out.

So what do I do with the borders and rockery? Is the following feasible please ? Clear them off all together, riddle the soil and mix in compost. Find some evergreen low growing ( 4" ish ) groundcover that just needs sowing ( no greenhouse ) with some mixed bulbs along the fronts and possibly some shrubs spaced out along the backs, growing up to 3' ish.

Though I am reasonably fit now, I need an easy maintenance garden as I slow down over the coming years.

Best regards

Keith

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, sorry to hear about your wife. Not knowing what part of the country you are in it is hard to tell you what to plant.

28c3332badc641492f0019ca40bdf677.jpg

This is an idea that requires little care and its on a slop.

Reaction score
many thanks for your reply, I'm from Sheffield, never thought to add that

Ask a Question