Night Garden....anyone have or ever try one?

Reaction score
So I came across a site that focused on night gardening. Meaning plants that blossom, bloom and give out their best scents at night. Many of us spend our days at a 9-5 and don't have the time to enjoy our gardens during the day except for weekends and that is IF we get weekends off. So this idea kind of intrigued me because my best and most peaceful times are after 7pm in my house. Apparently there are many plants that are beautiful and reflect the moonlight in your garden.

To name just a few there is the
Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)- This relative of the morning glory has huge, white flowers up to 6 inches in diameter that bloom only at night and release a powerful scent.

Angel’s Trumpet (Brugmansia spp.)- These are large trumpets up to a foot long hang down from this fast-growing tropical plant, making it a showstopper at night.

Night Phlox (Zaluzianskya capensis)- At dusk, the flowers of this plant, known as ‘Midnight Candy,’ open to release a honey-almond-vanilla fragrance.

Anyone know of any others that can be useful in a night garden? Anyone have a night garden?

Reaction score
That's so interesting, but I wish you had added some pictures :D I think having a mix of day and night garden is good, but not a garden that is entirely a night one, that's just what I think tho. There are many flowers I'd love to add to my garden in my future (night bloomers):

Moon Flowers

Moon-Flower2.jpg

Moon-Flower-in-Full-Bloom.jpg

Night Gladiolus

Night-Gladiolus.jpg

Casablanca Lily

casablanca-Lily.jpg

Four O’ Clocks (my fav)

Four-O-Clocks.jpg

Reaction score
Mirabilis Jalapa, the Four 0'clock, The Marvel of Peru or Don Diego is definitely a plant that I would truly recommend, for as you would call it a 'night garden' like the one in the picture above, which Trellum posted.

I like to enjoy my garden at all times of the day and night, therefore wouldn't want a garden that was just specifically for night time use, but I have incorporated scented plants into areas that are used in the evening, and have to confess to having an awful lot of , as you would call them Four 0'clocks, not only because I absolutely adore their intense scent, which is very similar to my favorite perfume Chanel No.5 but also because they spread like wildfire here :D

Along with the standard colors I also grow the varieties called 'marbles' and broken colors' like these

mirabilis_jalapa_broken_colours2.jpg

mirabilis marbles 3.jpg

mirablis marbles 1.jpg

which have a slightly more exotic coloring and often have more than one color on the same bush :)

Another popular plant for night time scent is Night Jasmine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, you all posted so many beautiful pictures! Now, I'll be dreaming of having a night garden:) In my opinion it's a wonderful idea. It sounds so romantic:) I have extremely sensitive and pale skin, so I have to avoid sunlight. I'm like a vampire, haha:p So it would make me very happy if I could spend time in my garden at night and see all these miracles:)

Reaction score
I inadvertently created a night garden with impatience one year due to a large amount of the white variety that I planted. Normally I don't plant white impatience but I planted later than usual and that was what was available. Only on the darkest nights - mainly foggy, was I unable to see the flowers. The impatience were far more visible than the moonflowers I had growing up a telephone pole.

Reaction score
We have a flower here in Romania called The Queen of The Night which very much resembles to the Moonlight flower. It only blooms at night and it has a very strong and beautiful scent which is kind of poisonous, but still great :D I have some in my garden and they make my summer nights dreamy :)

Reaction score
I've never had a night garden but it sounds like a really romantic idea. Those photos are gorgeous. I never noticed that 4 o clocks have a scent. We used to have a lot of the pink ones growing around my old apartment.

Ask a Question