Ever thought of Night gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Well, I never knew there is a 'Night garden' till recently. And I was wondering if anyone(here) has a night garden? I don't :p But maybe I will make one someday!

Reaction score
ongongong - if you are meaning night gardening in the sense of having it lit by artificial lighting and is full of flowers that only bloom at night and the air is heavy with their scent - then yes I do actually have one :)

However if you are meaning do you actually do gardening at night then I would have to say - that yes I do that too - although doing so does sometimes get a little awkward - as I have to try and persuade my other half to hold a torch so that I can see what I'm doing :D

Reaction score
When I spent one night gardening, to avoid the hot sun, I could not get to sleep until 3 AM! Gardening hypes me up and makes me feel TOO great! For me night time gardening does not help me to sleep.

If this were not so, I would happily spend time in the garden late at might, and I would plant flowers that bloom at night as well. I simply WILT in the hot summer days. But, if I want to get any sleep at night I need to stay inside! Which also makes it pointless to plant night blooming flowers, as I would not (alas) be outside to enjoy them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't have any flowers that only bloom at night. But I often sit in my garden after the sunset, because everything looks very romantic when it's dark:) Also, I love looking at fireflies and listening to crickets. They're magical creatures.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to see the fireflies at night also. What are the names of some of the plants that bloom at night? I think that would be a great idea to have some plants that only bloom at night that also have a heavenly scent.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Evening Primrose springs to mind. Privet flowers during the day, but at night it's covered in Moths :)

The Glow worms in Turkey flash on and off, ours just glow :)

Reaction score
Moonflower comes to mind: https://www.google.com/search?q=moo...4HISc8QGWzYCgCg&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=624

I grew this once, but I never spent time outside to enjoy it and so I did not plant it again. It was a strong vine, though.

I could not get it to germinate until I soaked it in water for some days. The instructions said to cut a groove in the outside of the seed but I just got scraped fingers trying that! Soaking them for a few days did the trick, though I do not remember how many days in the water before they germinated.

Reaction score
Another very popular night flowering plant that many people have in their gardens where I live is

Cestrum Nocternum or Night Jasmine

Night Jasmine - Cestrum Nocturnum.jpg

Night Jasmine Bush - Cestrum Nocturnum bush.jpg

Apart from the fact that its an extremely pretty plant - its versatile too - as it can be grown either as a tree or mounding shrub and even in a container - which means that you can place it where you want it to be - so that you can enjoy the beautiful fragrance it gives off as soon as it begins to get dark :)

Ask a Question