New tree / perennial watering hack

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Here's a simple hack I use to water in new perennials and trees I plant. When I plant these I want to deeply water them roughly weekly for the first several weeks especially as it gets hot over the summer if planted in the spring.

Take a 5 gallon, or other large, bucket and drill a 1/4" (or about 6 mm) hole in the bottom near an edge. Then place that bucket next to the tree and fill it with water and let it slowly drain and deeply water that tree.

I can quickly fill 3 or 4 of these buckets with a hose at full force then walk away for a half hour and not need to think about it.

For new fruit trees planted in spring (assuming a dryish summer) I will typically water then 2x weekly for the first month, 1x weekly for the remainder of June and July, and maybe once every 2 weeks for the remainder of the season. But conditions will vary...

Just thought I'd share this hack while I wait to fill the next round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never thought of watering a tree or anything else like that. Good idea but one 1/4" hole seems like a big hole to me for a drip line. Wouldn't you want to drill 2, 3, or 4 smaller holes (1/16") kinda cady cornered and place that near the trunk, on the uphill side?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea, you already have me thinking of adaptations for herbaceous plants. A two liter plastic bottle and a split bamboo that would fit the hole as closely as possible, directing the water under the plant and sticking out the top of the bottle to keep it in place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hehe. Olivers garden will now look like the set of Gilligans Island with jugs and bamboo flumes everywhere.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hehe. Olivers garden will now look like the set of Gilligans Island with jugs and bamboo flumes everywhere.
It's actually an adaptation of something I already do. I used plastic bottles with the base cut off to put over young plants their first nights out. When they blew off I found a bamboo through the neck of the bottle held them in place. Might be better to part bury the bottle neck down and have a hole in the cap, with the bottom cut off it would be easy to fill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
...one 1/4" hole seems like a big hole to me for a drip line. Wouldn't you want to drill 2, 3, or 4 smaller holes (1/16")...
I have a couple buckets with 1/4" and a couple with 3/16". These were "scientifically" selected by being the drill bit at hand when I made the buckets. This seems to be a good balance for my soil between draining too slow enough that the water absorbs into the ground and not run across and fast enough that 4 buckets won't take all day to water a bunch of things.

I have found that leafs, beetles, or mulch bits in the bucket can cause a 1/4" hole to greatly restrict or clog so going smaller could foul up very easily.

By using the buckets I can double purpose these. Instead of being only a watering tool I can still use the bucket to carry anything but liquids.

Ask a Question