New to the forum + my autumn garden plan!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Australia
Hello everyone, my name is Ellie! I'm looking forward to getting involved in the forum as I'm a keen gardener. I'm currently studying horticulture at trades school and have worked a couple of gardening jobs. I live in an apartment so don't have a garden that I 'own', but have a balcony full of plants in pots (mainly veggies and herbs), and am lucky to live next door to a community garden where I have a plot.

I thought I'd introduce myself with the plan I've made for planning out my autumn garden plot (I'm in Australia so autumn has just started here). I love planning and making spreadsheets so I've made one to plan out my garden for this season! The rectangle on the left is a map of the plot, and on the right is the key for what each square represents. The plot is approximately 8x2m or 26x6ft. The border of thyme and flowers is to attract beneficial insects which will hopefully keep down the numbers of bugs coming to eat my main crops, and also will hopefully look nice! If you have any questions about the map I'm happy to answer them, but otherwise thank you in advance for welcoming me into this great forum!

1710358794702.png

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Welcome from Adelaide.
I started gardening with a lot of planning too. I notice you haven't included broccoli or celery and they both can be planted in autumn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome.
That seems like a high proportion of swede to carrot, I think carrots are the veg my missus uses most. I am trying them out in buckets this year, it looks pretty good so far. Partly my reasoning is that I am told carrot fly cruise at about eighteen inches, with a fourteen inch bucket on a nine inch stand I am hoping they will miss them, and it is good for an 'oldie' like me to be able to stand the bucket so I can comfortably sit down to weed and thin.
Look forward to seeing you around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Australia
Welcome from Adelaide.
I started gardening with a lot of planning too. I notice you haven't included broccoli or celery and they both can be planted in autumn.
Thanks for the welcome! I might give broccoli a go next time as I do like it, but unfortunately celery is probably my least favourite vegetable! I'll make a note about broccoli though. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Australia
Hello and welcome.
That seems like a high proportion of swede to carrot, I think carrots are the veg my missus uses most. I am trying them out in buckets this year, it looks pretty good so far. Partly my reasoning is that I am told carrot fly cruise at about eighteen inches, with a fourteen inch bucket on a nine inch stand I am hoping they will miss them, and it is good for an 'oldie' like me to be able to stand the bucket so I can comfortably sit down to weed and thin.
Look forward to seeing you around.
Hi Oliver, thank you for your welcome! I'm actually not a huge fan of carrots, so I'm just using them to interplant to get a bit of variety and so I'm not overwhelmed with them. When I do plant carrots I generally go for rainbow or purple varieties, I find them a bit more interesting (visually and flavour-wise) than their orange counterparts.

And great idea about raising the carrots up for easier access. My lower back is not great so I'm lucky to have a somewhat raised bed over at the garden, and there's another bed on either side where I can sit on the border if need be and weed/plant from there.

Ask a Question