New gardener

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just moved into my first home in April and suddenly had space for a garden! It is all lawn, back and front, no plants. The soil is clay. I haven't done much yet, just put a single raised vegetable bed. All the women in my family are keen gardeners, so I've grown up watching and helping, and am very excited to have my own patch now. I'm planning on planting my first flowers next month, to attract bees.

Looking forward to being able to pick people's brains here!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome and we are looking forward to the views from Gippsland.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People are really down on clay, I think it is great stuff, those tiny particles hold a ball of water around them with nutrients dissolved in it. It is like most things though, good in moderation. I have seen people on the forum who have built raised beds with a base under them, almost like a giant pot, and they do tend to run into problems. If you treat it as a way of adding a mulch some inches thick to the clay I reckon you will get the benefit of both worlds and improve the soil all round in the long run. Have a look what Susan BBPM is doing with shallow raised beds lined with cardboard on clay, quite impressive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds like you already have a good source for garden advice. Good luck with your garden and a belated welcome to the forum.
About the clay , you could remove the grass(of course!), then cultivate in some sandy loam. Be certain to add fertilizer as you mix the soil. Good luck!

Ask a Question