New Garden Plan for 2022

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its that time again. I only have a small 4' by 8' raised garden bed here at the apartment house, but I made good use of it the first year which was last year. This year I plan to order more started plants from Territorial Seeds. I have been lucky to get great plants from them at the right time of season to transplant. This year I will have mostly tomatoes and peppers in my little garden, but also some cukes, along with radishes, carrots, English thyme, and a few lettuces here and there. I miss having a large garden, but this is a blessing for me, having one large raised bed. I am sure everyone here is ordering their plants and seeds for the new season. Good luck gardeners.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Territorial Seeds....very good to deal with. Plant what you like to eat fresh.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's my plan this year. Last year I put in several greens but I am not a good fan of greens except iceberg lettuce. So it was a waste of space for me. This year I limited my stock to what I enjoy eating. Of course, I can roast the tomatoes and freeze them to add to my soups and sauces thru the year so they are always a good plant to grow.
07-26-21 03 my garden bed.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your garden bed looks very nice. Mulching with straw is a fine idea.

You might consider Basil (Ocimum basilicum cvs.). it is a particularly flavourful green and one that goes very well with tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Marck. I learnt years ago that hay was not a good mulch. The seeds in the hay sprout and I got lots of weeds in my original gardens. I stick to dry straw these days. No more weed problems.
As to Basil, yes I know its a good green to grow for my sauces, but I was not able to get basil plants last spring, my first year back into gardening. I do not have the facilities to start seeds in my apt. these days unlike earlier years when I started so much under lights and so enjoyed the different varieties I could have. I will try to get one started plant at the nursery this spring. I have a space allotted for it this year. Thanks for the reminder.

Ask a Question