New garden - identifying existing plants 4

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for all the help so far.

Just looking at the vine with the purple flowers and heart shaped leaves, I'm pretty sure it's a Clematis.

Can anyone confirm?.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks Tetters. A quick Google search indicates it is a weed in certain areas.
That one might go on the 'to be pulled out' list.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's better to get rid of them, they grow pretty fast and maybe 'take over' your garden. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We used to propagate a lot of Vinca at the nursery, and it is a favourite ground cover plant in the UK. It is nowhere near a huge problem with being invasive for most varieties, although one or two may be a pain.
I would say that in Adelaide it could be more useful than nuisance, especially during drought. Your plant is a good colour too. It need not be too difficult to keep in check.
1628173752307.png
Vinca minor purpurea is my own favourite, and I grow this one -no problems at all.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's not very big at the moment.
I'm pretty sure the previous owners had a 'no water' policy and left everything to look after itself during our long hot summers so it hasn't gotten out of control.
I won't be doing too much in the garden for the first year, just observing. Although I will plant some new plants, because, well that's the fun part isn't it?!
I pruned some Geraniums the other day and planted some of the cuttings so hopefully they will grow successfully.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not very big at the moment.
I'm pretty sure the previous owners had a 'no water' policy and left everything to look after itself during our long hot summers so it hasn't gotten out of control.
I won't be doing too much in the garden for the first year, just observing. Although I will plant some new plants, because, well that's the fun part isn't it?!
I pruned some Geraniums the other day and planted some of the cuttings so hopefully they will grow successfully.
I usually progagate hardy geraniums by division - or did you mean pelargoniums?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah most people call them geraniums, it's just that the two are propagated so differently. I've found that rooting pelargoniums is easiest if you leave the cuttings to dry out before planting them - they seem to like a bit of rough love ;)

Ask a Question