New and wondering

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m wondering if these soil amenities would work well for a first time garden soil bed? Anything i should add or leave out please let me know.

Crustacean meal
Neem cake
Sea kelp meal
Comfrey leaf
Mycorrhizae
Dolomite lime
Greensand
Azomite
Buckwheat hull
Peat moss
Worm casting
Cow maneuver

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
None of them matter if you do not understand what type soil you have and what it already has going on without the internet help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
None of them matter if you do not understand what type soil you have and what it already has going on without the internet help.
Nope. Im pretty confused at which items to use. You could hear negative things about feather and blood meals so i don't want to use them. Yet still want a well mineral rich mix good enough to grow from vegs to weed in the same soil mix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I restructured the list so its more to purpose.

These are for bugs:
Crustacean meal (attracts chitin eaters-pathogens like nematode have chitin bodies)
Neem cake (insecticidal mainly)

Organic Minerals:
Sea kelp meal (also full of hormones especially cytokinens)
Comfrey leaf

Organic matter:
Buckwheat hull
Peat moss

Inorganic Minerals:
Dolomite lime (calcium and magnesium lowers pH)
Greensand (general micronutrients)
Azomite (general general micronutrients)

Organic fertilizer:
Worm casting (soluble nutrients)
Cow manure ( should be composted first)

Root stimulant:
Mycorrhizae (soil flora that serves multiple functions IF the roots need it)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cow manure
Lobster meal
Fish bone meal
Crab meal
Oyster meal
Worm casting
Kelp meal
Alfalfa meal
Mycorrhizae

Would a soil mixer like this work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cow manure
Lobster meal
Fish bone meal
Crab meal
Oyster meal
Worm casting
Kelp meal
Alfalfa meal
Mycorrhizae

Would a soil mixer like this work?
If you could afford it maybe. It would be great inventory for a store. I am not sure I can be of any help because I do not understand which plants you want to grow. If you just want to feed the soil, hamburger and potato starch would do wonders. The greatest soil secret is that it consumes dead animals.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you could afford it maybe. It would be great inventory for a store. I am not sure I can be of any help because I do not understand which plants you want to grow. If you just want to feed the soil, hamburger and potato starch would do wonders. The greatest soil secret is that it consumes dead animals.
I can’t make a bed of soil that would grow most vegetables and marijuana plant all in the same bed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
But why would you bother spending all that effort when hydroponics would be far better and year round? Put money into lights, not big bags of nutrients. Here is phosphorus, the down part of N-P-K, also known as up, down, allaround. You should consider growing organic Tobacco also. Btw I apologize, when in the first post you said veg to weed, I was in gardener mode where weed will always mean a plant to kill.

Attachments

• Fig-6.1.gif
    Fig-6.1.gif
    87.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can’t make a bed of soil that would grow most vegetables and marijuana plant all in the same bed?
You certainly could, but what I think others are getting at is that your over thinking it without starting at step one. What is the soil condition for what you have now? You likely do not need to bother with most, or any, of that mess you listed.

Tell us where you are and what your soul is like and you could probably expect better answers. If you have something that resembles soil now, stick some plants in there and let em do their thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Cattle manure can be broadcast on the soil in autumn, and will have weathered and decomposed enough to be safe in spring.
Save all that turning and trying to find enough "browns" to mix with it.

Ask a Question