New again...lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
been over in the sister site for ponds but this is a better place for gardening this and that. I love to garden, in my own small way. Im not a vegetabler, as I coin it, lol. Im a flowererererer...lol. That being said, I do have one question about a plant I dont have experience with, wisteria...well not in an obnoxious weed kinda way some people describe it.

Ok, our local nursery has one growing up a Ponderosa pine and its lovely every spring. My inlaws also have one growing a small tree that is beautiful. So, I have 3 plantings Id love to grow up some of my boring pine trees. That being said, some persons have claimed they can strangle and kill a tree. Is this true and what risk am I running having a wisteria growing on a large, healthy Ponderose pine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
That being said, I am an avid shade plant grower and love them dearly. Its the sun plants I am less used to. I am still working on that and making mistakes along the way, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Great to have you here @Kathryn crook (y)

I've heard that it can strangle a tree over time, but it depends on the tree. How large is the trunk?
These are very large pines, the other two not pictured, even larger. Will they be ok?
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a pretty big tree, so I would have thought you would be fine! Wisteria tends to prefer full sun, so you may find it doesn't thrive on the tree anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
That's a pretty big tree, so I would have thought you would be fine! Wisteria tends to prefer full sun, so you may find it doesn't thrive on the tree anyway.
Thanks Becky. You are right, I know. I thought over time it would climb for the sun. It may take a lifetime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
So, we have lived in this house for 4 years, and our white dogwood has bloomed every year except this year! What happened? I didnt do any fertilizing this year except liquid miracle grow and I put down bark in the garden. What could have happened?
image.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Frost while the buds were forming or it's gone into a biennial fruiting pattern? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Never saw any buds at all, and I would agree with biennial except its flowered faithfully every year for 5 years, even in the dry before we bought the house. I never dropped any nitrogen rich fertilizer around it to discourage blooming. Its a shame. I always look forward to that tree blooming. We even had an exceptionally wet spring too, so water should not be an issue either. Uggh! I burned the hell out of it the first year prepping the beds for gardening and it still flowered. Why this year it didnt? Total mystery!

Ask a Question