Needing Potassium

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, high in potassium, along with phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, & all the other micronutrients. Basically everything except the gasses like nitrogen because they go up in smoke. Wood ash can raise the soils pH too as it is very basic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, high in potassium, along with phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, & all the other micronutrients. Basically everything except the gasses like nitrogen because they go up in smoke. Wood ash can raise the soils pH too as it is very basic.
Is the word "alkaline" for clarity better than the word "basic" which has more priority toward different common understandings?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is a Gardener on the Internet uses Wood Ash regular just not too much.

Oh I know what it will do about 40 years ago it burnt all the skin and some meat off all my fingers.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I uses ashes from my wood stove all over my property in vegetable garden and perennial beds along with my apple trees and lawns and have zero issues with pH. So long as it's used in moderation there is no issue. In fact since I started using it twice a year on my garlic the storage time has increased dramatically. Again, a light dusting to just cover the soil is all I use at a time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I uses ashes from my wood stove all over my property in vegetable garden and perennial beds along with my apple trees and lawns and have zero issues with pH. So long as it's used in moderation there is no issue. In fact since I started using it twice a year on my garlic the storage time has increased dramatically. Again, a light dusting to just cover the soil is all I use at a time.
Yes I have learned moderation. I've killed with too much.

big rockpile

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
I use banna peels for potassium & companion planting for green maneur. Wood ash in small quantities from woods that are compatible with the planter you are using them in is fine. Wood ash can leach things like lye which can kill some plants or overheat where it activates with water. This can kill beneficial microbes in your compost in too large amounts. It can also block plants from breathing if you just dump it on leaves, so I water it in. Don't use alelopathic woods. Research the things that leach out of each type of wood ash before deciding where to amend with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I use banna peels for potassium & companion planting for green maneur. Wood ash in small quantities from woods that are compatible with the planter you are using them in is fine. Wood ash can leach things like lye which can kill some plants or overheat where it activates with water. This can kill beneficial microbes in your compost in too large amounts. It can also block plants from breathing if you just dump it on leaves, so I water it in. Don't use alelopathic woods. Research the things that leach out of each type of wood ash before deciding where to amend with them.

I find I have to leave charcoals and ash exposed for at least a year before I use them. Fresh is pretty strong stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Exactly, ashes must be covered and kept dry or else all those water soluble nutrients get leached out by rain. Simple as that.
Yeah so mix them in water with bacon fat.

Lye soap.

Is what is left of use to you?

You smell like a bbq for the 4th of July that way. Start a trend!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put Wood Ash on a Deer Hide to get the hair off.

Worked good but I forgot to wash it down.

Took the skin and some meat off all my fingers.

big rockpile

Ask a Question