Need serious help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
90 days isn't bad. I can deal worth that if some gets into the soil. The runners ate prolific so I fear the only way to get at them is to spray a bit. I'll see what I can find today. If I take the tree down (dead or alive )the sago will have to go anyway. I do have canna's about 10 feet from where the worst of it is. I'm hoping I don't have to apply any there and the rubbers that go that way will die off. Is 10ft far enough to not affect them if it gets in the soil?
I don't know. It will all depend on how the underground roots are interconnected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sometimes you can see the roots... :confused:

@Chuck, I'm thinking these are exaggerated pictures of what is happening at vette-kid's.
I can see roots to pour it on...:unsure: But, those roots would need to be cut to allow the poison into the system?

View attachment 28838 View attachment 28840

Something like this would work? o_O .View attachment 28841

As another example, there are roots like this in my yard from a maple tree. I can see where the roots are. It won't work to pour it on there? (A couple of the roots get nicked every time the lawn gets mowed. I would have to apply it to the nicked parts of root?)

View attachment 28842
No. Just pouring it on bark will not work. The stuff must be introduced into the vascular system. Either through the foliage or directly into the system itself. Bark will not absorb the poison into the vascular system. Drill holes into the visible roots and pour it in the holes. In your case if you are going to kill the tree just cut it down and apply the poison to the cut stump. You could use something not as aggressive as triclopyr. Just regular Cut Vine and Stump Remover would work for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary ya those are exaggerated but ya, that's whats going on. I'll try to get some pictures. I have a few exposed rips that have been knicked anyway so they would be able to tell. I'll try that. Looks like they have crossbow at lowes here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MaryMary ya those are exaggerated but ya, that's whats going on. I'll try to get some pictures. I have a few exposed rips that have been knicked anyway so they would be able to tell. I'll try that. Looks like they have crossbow at lowes here.
Make sure you get the concentrate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I ended up with another brand, but triclopyr is one of the active ingredients. I mixed it as directed and sprayed some leaves that were coming up in cracks of the driveway yesterday. Doesn't look to have turned yet, but I will report back in a day or two.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I ended up with another brand, but triclopyr is one of the active ingredients. I mixed it as directed and sprayed some leaves that were coming up in cracks of the driveway yesterday. Doesn't look to have turned yet, but I will report back in a day or two.
Under the ingredients list what is the first item listed and what is the percentage? It should take about a week to notice anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm not sure, I'll look when I get home. Triclpyr was 8.8%.
8.8% is a low percentage. Crossbow is 16, Garlon is 61, Hi Yield is 61. It will take longer the lower the percentage. If you drill holes use at least 1/2" bit and go a little past center. Fill up the hole numerous times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
8.8% is a low percentage. Crossbow is 16, Garlon is 61, Hi Yield is 61. It will take longer the lower the percentage. If you drill holes use at least 1/2" bit and go a little past center. Fill up the hole numerous times.
Might just order something stronger then. Although this is probably safer to spray the leafs with as maybe less chance of killing everything nearby to ground contamination. Its mixed at 4oz per gallon and use undiluted on roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Might just order something stronger then. Although this is probably safer to spray the leafs with as maybe less chance of killing everything nearby to ground contamination. Its mixed at 4oz per gallon and use undiluted on roots.
Since you already have it you may as well go ahead and use it. It will just take more of the product and take longer is the only difference. Has your oak tree already regained it shed leaves? If it has that is a good thing. But if it hasn't wait until it has.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok, the root I thought I had are smaller than I thought, about 2 inches diameter. So I had another thought. This tree has been pruned before. Can I pour done down these homes to good effect? Will it look obvious? Sorry, that picture is pretty terrible, but you get the idea. It is reachable pretty easy with a step ladder, it's about 8 feet up. There is another one on another branch as well. They are big enough to hold a fair amount, probably 1/4 cup at least.
20171030_171335.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, the root I thought I had are smaller than I thought, about 2 inches diameter. So I had another thought. This tree has been pruned before. Can I pour done down these homes to good effect? Will it look obvious? Sorry, that picture is pretty terrible, but you get the idea. It is reachable pretty easy with a step ladder, it's about 8 feet up. There is another one on another branch as well. They are big enough to hold a fair amount, probably 1/4 cup at least.
View attachment 28991
NO!!! The stuff must be applied only on fresh cut surfaces.

Ask a Question