Need help with new plant care

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a bit of a whim I went to a garden centre today and picked up some house plants and I could use some advice in how to care for them. I've not had a decent house plant since my attempt at keeping a bonsai which ended badly, before that I used to keep cactus, but my grandads dog ate them.

These are the plants I got. Excuse the crappy phone pictures.

Ficus
House%20Plant%20Ficus.jpeg

Weepging Fig
House%20Plant%20Weeping%20Fig.jpeg

Opuntia Monacvantha
House%20Plant%20Opuntia%20Monacvantha.jpeg

Crassula
House%20Plant%20Crassula.jpeg

Tradescantia
House%20Plant%20Tradescantia.jpeg

Bit of a miss match I know, I just went through and picked up anything I liked!

Can anyone provide any care tips for these plants?
How often to water them?
Do any of them look like they could do with bigger pots?
Is it worth investing in plant food? If so how often should I use it?

I'm a little worried about the ficus at the moment, it's got a few dry, dead leaves on it, though the soil feels moist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi! :)

Ficus tends to get a bit fussy about being moved, that might well be why it's dropping leaves.

As a very general rule: water only after soil is dry - especially the cactus; most cactii can go months without watering.

The number one mistake people make with plants is over-watering, or watering incorrectly (ie frequent shallow watering.)

Bigger pots yes, especially for the weeping fig though that is a really cool pot!

Not sure what fertilizer is available to you in the UK but I'm sure one of the UK peeps will have suggestions! In general, feed in spring and during flowering and fruiting, and let the plants go dormant in winter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good to see you on the forums - another one from the UK :). I suggest you have a look for the Dr Hessayon book about looking after houseplants. It is old fashioned and basic - easy to find, and foolproof.
Where are you in the UK? North or South?
@Beth_B has given good advice - and there are plenty of fertilisers to be found in any GC - I would choose a slow release one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bigger pots yes, especially for the weeping fig though that is a really cool pot!

That's a damn shame, really like that pot, it's the centre piece of my computer desk!
Any recommendations on where to get some fancy pots in the uk?

Where are you in the UK? North or South?
I'm in the South, down in Kent.

Forgot to ask, how important is positioning with these plants, all of them, except the ficus, are right next to a window which gets more then it's fair share of direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I reckon positioning, in my experience, isnt so important as long as theyre getting enough light.
Just make sure they arent getting too much, Ive never owned any of those plants so i dont know if they can get sunburn but look out for discoloration, thats the first sign it doesnt like so much direct light. Just moving it somewhere with a little shade will do. Thats a general rule of thumb for me, I have 2 aloes, lucky bamboo, and some sort of cactus

Looking at them, I think the Crassula is the only one that might prefer bright filtered light as apposed to direct. I wouldnt worry about it unless it starts looking unhealthy, someone better informed can say for sure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's a damn shame, really like that pot, it's the centre piece of my computer desk!
Any recommendations on where to get some fancy pots in the uk?
Meadow Grange Nursery, between Whitstable and Canterbury. Good selection of most stuff, brilliant for advice, and Paul even makes up his own compost for you for various uses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to B&Q to pick up some cheap plastic pots to repot the plants I go, also picked up a Haworthia and Spider plant while I was there.

I got some multipurpse compost for repotting, but I'm going to assume plants like the Crassula and Opuntia Monacvantha are going to need different soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The Crassula and Optunia Monacvantha both like well draining soil, cactus mix would probably do them fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help again, can anyone identify this plant? Sorry about the poor picture.

xVKQNHv.jpg

I want to repot it, but unsure which type of soil to use? I was going to go with the cactus stuff I have.

Ask a Question