Need Help: What to plant near the street?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a corner lot. Since the streets in my neighborhood don't have curbs, drivers occasionally cut the corner of my lot -- probably out joy riding, someone who has no concern for other people's property. When I say they cut my corner, I mean they drive their entire vehicle into my lawn -- all 4 tires -- leaving ruts and ugly streaks thru the grass. So I want to plant something in this area to act as a deterrence. I have already called the people who will mark underground utilities: water, gas, sewer, etc. so I don't interfere with these pipes.

My initial thought was to plant a few trees -- maybe a red and yellow maple. But maybe I should consider plants that don't have huge root systems -- bushes, pampas grass, etc. I don't want to create a mulched flower bed, per se because I don't want to spend a lot of time maintaining it during the hot summer. Currently, there is a 22 year old oak in the vicinity -- about 25 feet tall, but it's not close enough to the corner of the two streets to prevent such shenanigans. What would you do?

BTW, I'm in the Memphis, TN area of the southeastern USA. It gets very hot and dry here in the summer. Watering these new plants will be an issue because of the distance from my house to the corner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am considering large landscaping stones as part of the solution. My wife favors a raised area using landscaping bricks with various plants in the bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am considering large landscaping stones as part of the solution. My wife favors a raised area using landscaping bricks with various plants in the bed.
Bricks scatter when hit. Boulders don't. Boulders are cheaper. Boulders are natural and bricks are always fake. Isn't the object to stop cars from running over your property?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Exactly. My wife will not be the one maintaining whatever we decide to do. That burden will fall on me. I want easy -- maintenance free. But it must be appealing to the eye.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Exactly. My wife will not be the one maintaining whatever we decide to do. That burden will fall on me. I want easy -- maintenance free. But it must be appealing to the eye.
Then how about a southwestern motif. Big rocks and a cactus garden. No watering or fertilizing. Maybe even a cow skull or two

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Okay, but only if I can use the skull of the person who drove thru my yard. (jk) Actually, my backyard is more wooded -- a park-like setting. I'm afraid the western motif would clash. But I do like the boulders idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
How about yellow green striped bamboos?;)

I tried to grow some but was not able to germinate them from seeds.:oops:

Will try to get some root cuttings this time!

They grow fast may be invasive. You may need chain saw to control it.:p

Is anyone growing bamboos as screen?

It's really annoying if you get a corner house, my place I have 6 feet pillar gate, I have to repair it when some bump into the gate and crack the concrete at the gate hings :mad:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Right at the front

Nerine Bowdenii,
osteospermum, white, violet, yellow.
cistus, (this one sadly though ever green, flowering period is short)
gaura which will flowers for months,
dahlia collarette - those no need to stake.
penstemons - mother of pearls or sour grapes flower well into November or even December
Some dwarf nicotianas
heucheras most reliable and can be left to their own device.
alstroemerias
sedum for the bees

All very low maintenance and mostly drought and heat resistant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
how about, after the boulders are in place , a lacy short Japanese maple to drape over the stones, not sure if they can handle your zone or not. Some plants really like the winter sleep also. But lots of good ideas above.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If it gets very hot and dry in summer, Japanese maple which you probably refer to Acer might not be suitable as it suffers from leaf scorch if leaves exposed to hot and dry weather. However, I do see success if the root area is shaded. I have seen a dwarf wall of 2 feet protecting the root against hot setting sun and the leaves still look marvellous.

Acer palmatum dissectum is very pretty indeed! A must for all gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
how about, after the boulders are in place , a lacy short Japanese maple to drape over the stones, not sure if they can handle your zone or not. Some plants really like the winter sleep also. But lots of good ideas above.
16.png

"drape over the stones" sound like a good idea,
er334%2B%252872%2529.gif

those crazy driver wouldn't know what hit them.
4.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
After thinking about it, your only hope, is step one getting boulders positioned on that curve. Any plant you plant without boulders would be run over, young trees etc. So finding and having boulders delivered is the best idea. Be creative, maybe there could be some color contrast of boulders and interesting shapes/sizes you can find in a couple quarries. Then, step two, to figure out what can grow, climb a little on the boulders that would survive. Or maybe you'll find you like it just like that. Now, I am imagining the screeching tire noises and cars hitting noises you might hear.

Ask a Question