Need help identifying Succulent

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I could use some help identifying this succulent. I am no experience with plants of any kind. Also if anyone knows why some of the stems are dying (they die from the bottom up) and have any advice that would be great. Recently bought succulent food and new soil, transplanted it into a larger planter and it still isn't doing as well as I would hope. Anything you could help with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170115_114637.jpg
    20170115_114637.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 20170115_114623.jpg
    20170115_114623.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a variety of aloe vera. About the only thing that can go wrong is overwatering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes some aloe variety. I've had many.

Basically this is a plant that can easily live a year or more without water. Depending on your climate, many succulents can live for years pretty much on ambient humidity. Google desert growing environments...

Roots may be rotted at this point. Stop watering altogether. Maybe repot in well- drained soil formulated for succulents.

Then do. Not. Water. For like a month, or six months, until it starts looking a bit shrivelled and dried up. Then soak it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a bunch of these. They tend to grow that way, and when they have flowers, it's on a looong skinny stick looking thing with little "dead leaf" looking things on it. ( Quite ugly) Mine tend to get dead looking bottoms when they are too crowded, but the tops keep growing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is Haworthiopsis glauca in the Asphodel Family (Asphodelaceae). It was formerly called Haworthia glauca, before that genus was divided taxonomically. There are several similar varieties and forms of this species., all native to the Eastern Cape in South Africa.

Ask a Question