Need help diagnosing boxwood issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to gardening - last year I planted a boxwood garden and loved it, so this year I purchased a lot more boxwood for a second project.

I just noticed these oval issues on my older boxwood - is this blight? Overwatering?

These are the only leaves affected abs there are no black lesions on the stems of any of the plants. I plucked these leaves right off and am hoping for the best, as these boxwood were very expensive!

Attachments

• 2744E972-A822-4542-A35C-C04379FE5484.jpeg
    2744E972-A822-4542-A35C-C04379FE5484.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It may be volutella blight if its not some weather related or other issue. Those are nursery plants and they can spread disease from propagation practices. It doesn't look black enough for boxwood blight and BB has branches dying too. Generically the talk is since there is no cure the BB will take them all eventually. I would be looking into systemic fungicides that have impact upon at least the relatives of volutella if not the pathogen itself. Neighborhoods are situations where spore has a short distance to travel between plants and they suffer from the airborne and landscape contractor transmission vectors in addition to the sad news a nursery plant can give you after some time goes by. Whatever you do, avoid the internet advice for copper based fungicides as they cause other problems over time with copper toxicity in the soil. Copper is only a topical anyway and you could used betadine water and soap for a similiar and faster contact killing effect. Prophylactic techniques like oils and waxes will help prevention if the temps are not high, a problem in summer. I will have to read more about it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question